My Pull List™ – Insideman’s Weekly Hardcover & Graphic Novel Picks for 11.17.10

THE MOST RIDICULOUS RELEASE WEEK IN THE HISTORY OF COMIC BOOK HARDCOVERS & GRAPHIC NOVELS!

Seriously, this is– hands down– the stupidest, craziest f****ing week in comics for me– for, like, ever.

“How crazy?” you ask?

…AND THAT’S WITH A 35% – 40% DISCOUNT.

And here’s something else that’s REALLY CRAZY: I did NOT buy everything. I didn’t even come close. Look below and you’ll see what I mean!

I just bought what I needed to keep up to date on my regular reading– with a few added collections that I had not anticipated being released all on the same day. What I did NOT expect: that MARVEL, DC, IDW, DARK HORSE, DYNAMITE & IMAGE would distribute 15 Hardcovers & Graphic Novels that cost more than $24.99 (with many priced at $29.99, $34.99, $39.99, $49.99 and $75.00).

I understand it is the “beginning” Holidays… But I have never seen anything like this… And I hope I never see anything like it ever again.

Then DC Comics did EXACTLY what I predicted they would do just 10 DAYS AGO: they shipped 3 Statues/Busts in one week! ONE WEEK! (They also released a slew of Action Figures that I thankfully barely look at and don’t collect.)

To be clear: I wake up every day and feel very fortunate to be able to afford these books– especially in hard times. I understand that if I wanted to collect all these collections that I would have had to pay for them eventually– whenever they showed up in the store… But damn– how ridiculous is it to ship all that product in just one week?

What’s truly scary: the Holiday Season is just starting. What in the hell do I have to look forward to NEXT WEDNESDAY?

PICK O' THE WEEK!

GRAPHIC NOVELS
75 Years of DC Comics HC – I’m living it.Don’t need to read about it.
Agents of Atlas Versus GN – Already own the Hardcover
Archie Firsts Vol 1 HC – I am an Archie Freak™, so I am not surprised I got this.
Awakening Vol 2 HC – Got Volume One
Bad Guys GN – Kickstart
Batman Brave and the Bold Fearsome Fang Strikes GN – I watch the cartoon, thanks
Captain America 1940s Newspaper Strip GN
Captain America New Deal HC
Captain Stupendous GN – This looks really cool
Castle Waiting Vol 2 HC – Nice
CBGB GN – Great to see Boom! Studios releasing a book like this!

Punks & Drunks - Here's to the GOOD TIMES

Dan Brereton The Goddess & the Monster HC – No art books for me
Daredevil By Bendis & Maleev Ultimate Collection Book 3 GN – Been there, done that
Deadpool Vol 4 Monkey Business GN – Already own the Hardcover
Eeek! Vol 1 GN – This looks VERY fun!

Isn't anyone WILLING to sacrifice themselves to SATAN anymore?

Eerie Archives Vol 5 HC
Ex Machina Deluxe Edition Vol 4 HC
Fables Deluxe Edition Vol 2 HC – A must have
Fantastic Four By Jonathan Hickman Vol 2 GN – Already own the Hardcover
Farscape Vol 2 Strange Detractors GN – Already own the Hardcover
Femforce Omnibus Vol 4 GN
Forgetless GN

From the Creator of Morning Glories! 'Nuff Said!

GI Joe Cobra Vol 2 GN- Christos Gage, yes!
God Machine HC – Art not for me
Grandville Mon Amour HC – Me want more

EVERY WEEK I would buy this! And I would not BITCH once!

Grant Morrison 18 Days GN – “Script Book”? Nope!
Great Treasury of Christmas Comic Book Stories HC – Sorry Santa! Not in my budget!
Greek Street Vol 2 Cassandra Complex GN – So sad this is canceled
Green Arrow Black Canary Five Stages GN
Grimm’s Fairy Tales Vol 1 HC
Hack Slash Vol 8 Super Sidekick Sleepover GN

I get warm & fuzzy when I see a new one of these trades

Hero Complex GN – Kickstart
Hewligan’s Haircut GN – Peter Milligan!
James Patterson The Murder of King Tut GN
Kevin Smith’s Kato Vol 1 Not My Fathers Daughter GN
Last Days Of American Crime GN – Rick Remender!

Remender tweeted that Radical bllew through 5,000 copies of this today. Go get 'em Rick!

Last Run: A Queen & Country HC (Prose) – Greg Rucka!
Legion of Super-Heroes Great Darkness Saga Deluxe HC – Where did this come from?
Lenore Cooties HC Color Edition
Lil Abner Vol 2 HC – As soon as this strip goes political in the 70′s, I am OUT!
Little Maakies on the Prairie HC – Tony Millionaire!

Stamps1723 woud probably like this! ☺

Littlest Pirate King HC – Budget, again.
Mario Acevado Felix Gomez Chinatown Trollop GN
Mickey Mouse on Quandomai Island GN
Mirror Mirror GN I am giving all these Kickstart titles a try
Mouse Guard Legends Of The Guard HC
Pop Wonderland Vol 4 Cinderella HC
Powers Vol 13 Z GN – Buying the collections
Punisher Franken-Castle HC – Rick Remender?!?
Realm Of Kings GN – Already own the Hardcover
Rift Raiders GN – Kickstart Comics again

When he's not going through his mail on an "Award Winning" Podcast, Jimmy Palmiotti edits this!

Rocketeer Complete Collection Deluxe Edition Vol 1 HC
Savage Sword of Kull Vol 1 GN
Scott Pilgrim Precious Little Box Set
Shazam Golden Age of Worlds Mightiest Mortal HC
Shockrockets HC – Looks VERY cool!
Siege X-Men GN – Already own the Hardcover
Slaine: Warriors Dawn GN – Never fancied Slaine
Spider-Man Complete Clone Saga Epic Book 4 GN – Deja Vu All Over Again!

I feel like this SHIT STORY is never gonna end AGAIN!

Star Wars Dark Times Vol 4 Blue Harvest GN
Superman Last Stand Of New Krypton Vol 1 HC
Tron Betrayal GN – I wanted to but it is DIGEST SIZED
Uncanny X-Men Official Index Marvel Universe GN – Please
What I Did HC – I love Jason! Really! Lots!
Wire Hangers GN

MANGA
Dragon Sword and Wind Child GN
Ouroboros Wave (Prose) – Like I’ll ever have time to read this
Real Vol 9 GN
Saturn Apartments Vol 2 GN – Concept sounds epic

I love the sideways covers! unique is where it's at.

This entry was posted in Commentary, IMJ REGULAR FEATURE, My Pull List™, New Hardcover & Graphic Novel Releases and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to My Pull List™ – Insideman’s Weekly Hardcover & Graphic Novel Picks for 11.17.10

1. mattcd42 says:

I can’t believe your getting the clone saga recollected. I’m a Spider-Man junkie and even i have to say, skip it.

But it looks like there’s a great deal of quality in there, and I guess every comic sandwich needs some cheese in the mix.

I’d be interested to hear your opinions on the lesser known titles.

Yes. I agree. But you have to remember that I also buy certain things because I feel I need to (rather than just want to) because of my profession (either to read for the first time or refresh my memory).

I often read stuff that even I can’t believe I bought. The good news is, I still read more stuff that I like then I don’t like… It’s fun “work”.

2. Matthew Guy (mguy1977) says:

It has announced 4 or 5 months ago around the same time of the NEW Levitz’s Legion book & him taking over Adventure Comics from Johns. It is a collection of 12 or 13 issues in a HC format. And yes Fables Deluxe Editions are a must have but sadly you get only one a year (Bummer). I sold my Fables tpbs to buy money for 4 Deluxe HCs of Fables just prior to the announcement.

Matthew

Yeah, I just completely MISSED it Matthew. Then when I saw it, I vaguely remembered it being a very good story– so I went for it! Hope I am not confusing story arcs!

I wish they would bring the deluxe Fables books out twice a year as well but I also know why they do not: The Fables trades are VERY BIG SELLERS for Vertigo. They make more money selling individuals GNs than they do on the deluxe editions. If they brought out the deluxe editions more often… They would catch up very quickly to the trades and would therefore be cannibalizing sales.

While frustrating for us, they are smart to be doing what they are doing.

• Matthew Guy (mguy1977) says:

I am patient to wait 4 or 5 more years to get 4 or 5 HCs of Fables to go along w/ my 1,001 Nights of Snowfall HC OGN & the 2 Deluxe Editions I already have on my bookshelf & read & reread again. I am doing the same deal for Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing HCs buying 1 or 2 at a time.

Matthew

3. hackslash2020 says:

If you buy this many books every week, for 3 years in a row, you will need a shelf that is at least 350 feet long. (Based on a average width of 0,5 inch for softcovers and 1.0 inch for hardcovers). If you can stack 7 shelves vertically, all the books wil actually fit in a 12ft by 12ft room….but that makes one pretty impressive room..

You must be a good carpenter Hack/Slash.

Well, I do have a double door walk in closet/room that is 8 feet deep, 20 feet wide and about 18 feet high. Lots of shelves and a big ladder. That doesn’t include about 10 more shelve units around the place. 4 huge stacks of books on a big coffee table and extra display room needed for my statues and busts. (And regular bppks/novels too!)

But you’re also forgetting one major point that I have brought up a couple of times before… Every year I unload a TON of books that I have read that I no longer need or care to keep.

I then use the proceeds from the sale of those books and give the money to my handicapped friend who has suffered from MS for 20+ years. This helps her pay her medical expenses. It works out perfect: I get to read the books I need to read and/or want to read and she gets money that she otherwise would not take from me as a gift. (I always sell the books then tell her I’m giving the money away to her or somebody else… and she acquiesces.)

Doesn’t mean that I don’t like all the books I am selling… In fact it is often the opposite. As your correctly surmise, I don’t have room for everything and I wouldn’t want to keep them all if I did. I often collect the individual HCs or GNs in the bigger Deluxe HC editions like Ex Machina, Fables or The Walking Dead etc. This takes up a lot less space.

• hackslash2020 says:

Do you sell your books on Ebay? How much do you generally get from selling it? 50% of the original price or more?

Also, I am very curious to know which statues you will be getting Insideman!

I have somebody help me sell them on eBay– a longtime seller that has sold a lot for me before. I treat my books like PLATINUM– and keep them in perfect shape– MINT enough to make a CSI Forensics Expert proud.

Sale prices range from 35% to 50% off. Normally when the books go up (there can be 600 or more!) regular yearly customers jump all over them: 1) I think for the price and 2) because every single one of them (except for 3 or 4– and those are ALWAYS CLEARLY NOTED) is in PRISTINE PERFECT condition and 3) to a smaller extent, people know they are helping someone– even if that someone is a stranger.

I can’t begin to tell you how many people have written back and gone crazy over the excellent condition of these books. Readers of my posts know that I insist on STRICT MINT copies when I buy my books and 99.99999% of them stay that way until they are sold.

In other words, I– and my seller friend– treat people like we want to be treated.

Hope that answers your question!

PLUS– I PROMISE to get to your Statue Question. I am editing Podcast #2 as I type… So I hope the STATUE POST is right around the corner… And wait till you see Jose and my HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE! That will be too cool for school!

4. PILKK90 says: