IMJ NATION™ Podcast #10 – ALL NEW!

“The one where we find out if the NEW FLASH is wearing any pants.”

(We hope you have as much fun listening as we did making this podcast!)

We’re Back in a Flash!
(And Nowhere Near As Boring As Barry Allen!)

An In-Depth look into the state of AMC’s Second Season of The Walking Dead now that showrunner (and Film Director extraordinaire) FRANK DARABONT has been shown the door, asked to leave, forced out, quit (whatever)… Plus half a dozen digressions… Including a trip into the DARK ABYSS that is the NEW “Reality” Show Hit STORAGE WARS.

Then it’s more MARVEL BULLSHIT– with their latest ILL ADVISED “Comics for Comics” Promotion that’s attempting to steal some of DC’s THUNDER in the press– but looks more like a bunch of sourpusses pissing into the wind.

Ian gets particularly rankled by an uncalled for Zenescope Variant (and definitely NOT for the reason you may think)!

Then Jose and Ian let loose on REVIEWS for the NEW DC COMICS 52… The 52 #1 Comics that DC will release starting with Justice League #1 on 8.31.11!

ALL OF THEM ARE ON THE GRILL… And some look and sound a lot more TASTY than others!

Justice League

Swamp Thing
Written by Scott Snyder
Art by Yanick Paquette

Animal Man
Written by Jeff Lemire
Art by Travel Foreman and Dan Green

Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
Written by Jeff Lemire

Legion Lost
Written by Fabian Nicieza
Art by Pete Woods

Legion of Super-Heroes
Written by Paul Levitz
Art by Francis Portela

The Inveterate Media Junkies Podcast™– The ONLY NEW INTERNET PROGRAM where you can find IMJ Co-Founder Jose Melendez… And Co-Founder Ian MacMillan too. Stick around and EXPLORE the IMJ WEBSITE. It is the ONLY SITE on the INTERNET where you can interact with Jose (and Ian)… And we are adding NEW FEATURES, NEW COLUMNS and NEW PAGES every day!

If you click on the NEW “Inveterate Media Junkies Podcast #10″ PODCAST PLAYER above, you should be able to listen to the full podcast
IMMEDIATELY.

You can also download and/or just listen to this LATEST PODCAST on the DEDICATED IMJ PODCAST PAGE at

And later, look for Enhanced Video versions of this Podcast at the Inveterate Media Junkies You Tube Channel!

This entry was posted in A Public Service Post and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to IMJ NATION™ Podcast #10 – ALL NEW!

that was an epic podcast in all sorts of ways.

regarding the DCnu books, I agreed with most of the comments regarding the indivual books, some are intriguing and some are plain WTF? I would be more excited about it if it was a true reboot rather than…whatever it is they’re calling it this week. I don’t think that a true reboot would need to retell everyones origins though, I think they could start the books with the characters as established herores and then fill in the backstory as they go along. They could also use Secret Files specials to delineate the back stories for these characters.

My main problem with the DCnu is that I don’t see a bold new grand strategy behind it. Perhaps that is something that will emerge but I’m starting to have my doubts about it. Perhaps if DC made Grant Morrison editor in chief it might be more inspiring….I know that might sound like a crazy idea but frankly I think comics needs some craziness right now

As for the Captain America movie, I decided that I wouldn’t go see it because of the Jack Kirby situation, how can I watch a movie inspired by my favourite american comics creator and sit there knowing that his family is being screwed over again.

I’ve forgotten half the rest of the shit ye were talking about but at least I listened to it at work so it wasn’t distracting me from anything important.

Oh wait….yeah…there was one more thing…Tom Brevoort is a fucking disingenuous cunt!

2. Allfather76 says:

Yes! Diet Mountain Dew is the best! I’m with you 100% with that one Ian.

3. Allfather76 says:

Just finished listening – excellent podcast. My favorite one so far. It was fun following along with the DC’s “The New 52″ giveaway and you gave me the idea of trying a couple of titles I wasn’t planning on originally getting like Frankenstein, DC Universe Presents, and Resurrection Man.

By the way, of the many, many times I’ve been to Dreamland Comics, I have NEVER seen Jose reading a comic book:) Not that there would be anything wrong with that, but the guy is ALWAYS working.

OK, now when’s the next one?

4. TheMSpot says:

I think the book I’m looking forward the most next to Batwoman is Swamp Thing. Yanick Paquette will be alternating with Francesco Francavilla who’s art style I liked on Dectective. Also, all the creators on the Dark have said their writing these books as if they are Vertigo titles, and Lemire did let slip in a interview that they have six issue. Which I wouldn’t be surprised if the same went for the Edge titles and for select DCnU titles.

It is amazing what can pass for TV these days. A storage facility sale is not as exciting a event as they make it out to be it’s nothing more than a glorified yard sale. Although, I did get my first gaming console from one back in the day a NES and a assortment of game cartridges. So that was cool. Anyway….

Great podcast.

5. philbyday says:

09) Swamp Thing Yannick’s art has slowly started 2 grow on me; that paired w/ he might have just been paired w/ the right character 2 draw, his Wrightson meets Nowlan style may be the right marriage
    08) Batman The more I see the prevue image, the more intrigued I am
    07) Static) McDaniel’s is hit/miss 4 me, depending on who he’s on. This seems like a good fit.
    06) Supergirl the artist from the Dynamo 5 is good enough 4 me
    05) Batwoman still don’t like Williams and am dismayed by the fact that I don’t see Hadley’s name nowhere on this 52 prevue, but misgivings aside, I’m gonna give Williams a shot as a writer.
    04) B & R this time around, I hope Gleason brings his A game
    03) JLI I was sold w/ Gen. In Iron being on the team. Lopresti’s no slouch w/ the pencils, either.
    02) Action Morrison made me care about Batman (Grayson) again. Maybe he’ll have some magic 4 Supes
    01) Justice League could care less about Johns, but Lee’s still a fave of mine!
    The above r my top nine. Below r possibles but not probables:
    Hawk n Dove no1) 4 the sheer novelty of it :-) GL….If it weren’t Johns, this woulda been no.10
    Suicide Squad Yes I’m the “sole” person that likes the HQ get-up. I never liked that “Judy” 2 The Joker’s “Punch” JLdark Intriguing conceept.

unlikely but not outta the question
    DemonKnights, Red Lanterns (woulda been a shoe-in if Mera was there!), DCu Presents

6. Stamps says:

I agree. Diet Mountain Dew > Regular Mountain Dew. Though energy drinks have my heart.

“Comics for Comics” makes me fucking irate. It’s just so ridiculous that this would actually be a promotion.

I would say the Dew Love is a “Southern” thing– but AllFather’s from the Chicago area. :)

As always great podcast. It is always nice to hear your guys’ opinions on comics in general. Following with you guys with the New 52, I think there are a few more titles that I will try out, like DC Presents and Justice League Dark. We’ll see how the money situation is in a month and school starts back up. I posted this before but I the titles I am really excited for:

Justice League International – only way to get my Booster fill as of right now and I like Jurgens
    Wonder Woman – Will be a new character for me and excited to give it a go
    Action – Grant Morrison ’nuff said
    Batman – Snyder!
    Batwoman – Love the art and the Rucka’s run with this character was awesome!
    Nightwing – thanks to Grant Morrison and Scott Snyder, Dick Grayson has become one of my favorite characters in the DCU. I hope that is the same for the DCnU
    Blue Beetle – Don’t even know why

There are other titles that I will be getting but those are the ones I am most excited for.

Oh, and that is such a “DICK MOVE” by Marvel and TB. It makes me not want to buy anymore Marvel comics (though I will still by some, there are still a few books that I like over there).

8. Allfather76 says:

Here’s my Top 10 of the New 52 I’m getting:
    1.) Batman: Scott Snyder. All the reason I need. I’m not too crazy about Capullo being on this title – he is a decent artist but I can’t picture him with Snyder’s writing….yet. Wish he was on Detective but still most excited for this title.
    2.) Action Comics: Grant Morrison on Supes should bring this title to glory where it really belongs.
    3.) Batwoman: Been waiting for this a long time – wish Rucka was writing but this should not disappoint.
    4.) Swamp Thing: Snyder + Yanick Paquette – I might seem in the slight minority but I LOVE this combination. And whatever Snyder writes seems to turn into comic gold.
    5.) Wonder Woman: Brian Azzarello is excellent and I really love what I see so far from Cliff Chiang. The book will at least look beautiful and I have a feeling Azzarello will deliver as well.
    6.) All-Star Western: Only a little familiar with Jonah Hex but with his regular team on it and him coming to Gotham City? Should be great.
    7.) Justice League: I’m hoping Johns returns to his “A” game like he did with Green Lantern:Rebirth through most of Blackest Night. Jim Lee should deliver his goods as usual.
    8.) Justice League Dark: Just an awesome lineup and written by Peter Milligan who has experience writing most of these characters.
    9.) Animal Man: Jeff Lemire is just perfect for this title. Sweet Tooth is one of the best books out now.
    10.) Superman: I just have faith in George Perez.
    Other titles I will be checking out and giving a chance to: Justice League International, Supergirl, Batman and Robin, Batgirl, DC Universe Presents, Nightwing, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern: New Guardians, Red Lanterns, Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E., Resurrection Man, Blue Beetle

9. I hold ALOT of hope for the DC new 52, I actually want to check out Suicide Squad ONLY for Harley Quinn. Hey Ian, I must say two things to you.

1) Great podcast & Thanks for the shoutout :)
    2) I really love my last (OUR) last column you put up…hey wait a minute here ;)

Best laid plans… Venom.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions and all that… ;)

I woke up to this Tweet in our InBox:

TheMSpot The M Spot
    @IMJTruthsayers Was it me or did it sound like Ian was confused as to which book was which when it came to the Blackhawks and Men of War?

It wasn’t you. I was confused by the shitty way that page was laid out. Blackhawks is the S.H.I.E.L.D. book and Men of War was the modern war (with a supervillain twist) book.

I normally rely on Mr. Melendez to catch my flubs– but, in his defense, we were about 2 and a half hours into an almost 3 hour podcast, the hour was late, he wasn’t that interested in the war books… And the MOST IMPORTANT THING:

It’s NOT his job to catch my mistakes. It’s MINE. And I blame the layout of that damn page… Plus MAINLY, my ineptitude.

Still many thanks for setting me straight. Of the several thousand that have (amazingly) already downloaded this latest podcast marathon, you are the first to bring this to my attention.

I’m guessing that means HUNDREDS of attentive listeners were cutting me some slack… But if I were DC I’d be worried… It sounds like that the general listenership is like Jose and they don’t seem to give much of a shit which is which either.

In retrospect, I am amazed that DC even went there with a MODERN DAY “paramilitary/black ops” group approach… At least with the NAME of the group. The name BlackHAWKS and BlackWATER are still VERY MUCH too close for comfort for me.

• TheMSpot says:

And thank you for clarifying things. Although, I do have to hand it to Jose for at least trying to set you strait.

Actually MSpot, I’m not so sure I needed to be set straight on this one.

After just reading the description for BLACKHAWKS again… While I may have had the name of the titles mixed-up (as noted before, my fault entirely)… I stand my initial impression of the overall title.

Here’s the write-up:

“Welcome to a world waging a new kind of war that’s faster and more brutal than ever before. It’s fought by those who would make the innocent their targets, using computers, smart weapons and laser-guided missiles. The new enemy hard to find – and closer to home than we think.

Between us and them stand the Blackhawks, an elite force of military specialists equipped with the latest in cutting-edge hardware and vehicles. Their mission: Kill the bad guys before they kill us.”

Sounds like S.H.I.E.L.D. to me. :D

• TheMSpot says:

Yes, Blackhawks not only does it sound like S.H.I.E.L.D. but like G.I.JOE as well. It doesn’t help that they have a former G.I.JOE writing the book.

• TheMSpot says:

edit: former G.I.JOE writer writing the book.

Well, that’s enough typing out of me for one night/morning. I’m going to catch some shut eye.

And… In the twilight like dark of the “semi-studio” I record in, I swear the main promo drawing looked like a guy with an EYEPATCH instead somebody wearing ruby-red “sunglasses” too.

Small two-to-a-page pictures.

Cyclops notwithstanding– I am fond of unusually colored sunglasses… And I dislike ruby red sunglasses the most. I get the benefits of most colors… But making everything look like it has the tint of RAW PORK is NOT something I want to look through for 5 minutes… Let alone 24/7. :)

• TheMSpot says:

Seeing things through the tint of raw pork or having no depth perception (one eye). I don’t think neither is combat effective. :)

• Locusmortis says:

Blackhawks is a nearly 70 year old brand and it makes sense for DC to retool it, also it intriuges me as it not “just another superhero book”.

Hopefully it will be more like the british Action Force books than their inferior american copies GI Joe ;)

11. megamanx4ever says:

I feel your pain with going to movie theaters. Almost all the time I go to the movies there are always some shit head kids (mainly teens) talking during the fucking movie and I always want to tell them to shut the fuck up, but I dont because I dont want to stoop down to there level. Also Diet Mountain Dew is fucking awesome!

12. Tiger Topher says:

Solid podcast, gentlemen. Thanks for the shout-out.

By the way, in regards to Marvel speaking to retailers, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they spoke to more than two stores. I mean, Midtown does have three locations now. ;)

13. My friends and I (me especially) NEVER talk during a movie in theaters. I also don’t get why some kids take out their cell phones during a movie. What, is the movie too boring for them? I don’t get that at all.

My Top 3 favorite Diet beverages of choice are:

1. Diet Mountain Dew (LOVED your essay, Ian! That should be a commercial :) )
    2. Diet Dr. Pepper
    3. Diet Coke

Those drinks bring momentary happiness to a diabetic like me :)

These are the DC New 52 titles I will be buying:

- Justice League (I’ll give Johns a chance. Plus I’m a big fan of Jim Lee’s art)
    - Wonder Woman (I would love to buy a WW monthly again)
    - Action Comics (If this is as good as All-Star Superman I’m sold)
    - Batman (Scott Snyder. That’s good enough for me :) )
    - Batwoman (Thank GOD this is coming out. I met Amy Reeder a few months ago and she said the issues of Batwoman she’s drawing will come out starting February 2012)
    - Batgirl (I love Batgirl. I love Barbara Gordon. I love Gail Simone’s writing. SOLD)
    - Catwoman (Judd Winick and Guillem March sounds like a promising team)
    - Swamp Thing (Scott Snyder and Yanick Paquette sounds like a promising team)

About the Legion Lost plot hole… my dad and I were actually talking about how we don’t care for time travel stories because of plot holes like that.

The Comics for Comics thing pisses me off. I told my dad about it and he said, “Where is the Marvel Comics I know and love?” I basically replied, “Tell me about it”.

Great podcast you guys! I found myself laughing a lot at the things you guys said! Can’t WAIT for the next one!

14. Great podcast guys! I was listening while doing Grown Up Boring Things like the dishes so I wasn’t gonna read along, but I ended up quitting at dishes and getting out the book to follow along anyway with cus I’m a giant dork. ;)

I was also drinking Pepsi Max. The best caffeinated beverage readily available in the UK. Yup, that’s right, in this backwoods, you’re lucky if you can find regular Mountain Dew let alone any of the diets or variants. Same for stuff like Cherry Pepsi, any of the interesting Fanta flavours, Cream Soda that doesn’t taste like shit, that kind of thing. At least we have Irn Bru. It’s made in Scotland from Girders. http://youtu.be/H4PxuFQCDis

Anyways, I’m mainly a DC reader (never really been drawn to Marvel titles, but would like to start moving towards reading more indie stuff, hopefully I’ll pick up some recs hanging around here) so I’m picking up a fair few of these – using it as an opportunity to rejuvenate my pull list which has dwindled to the point of being depressing. I’ll list what I’ll be getting, but my husband and one of my best friends are also gonna be getting some stuff and we tend to pool comics and try not to overlap subscriptions so we can read more widely. Since I tend to view floppies as holding places for trades anyways, I’m usually the one who drops stuff we all wanna read and tries the stuff no one else wants to take a chance on. Now, I just need to apply that attitude to indie stuff… ;)

Anyway, what *I’m* getting – Justice League, Justice League International, Batwoman, Batgirl, Catwoman, Wonder Woman, Mr Terrific, Batwing, Savage Hawkman, Green Lantern Corps, Stormwatch, Supergirl (totally agree: worst solicit and best costume redesign, in both cases by FAR).

I’m shocked I was the only one who was going to get Justice League actually and I’m not sure how long I’ll keep it up, but I’m interested in the first arc, at least. Hawkman is a TOTAL gamble because I really never read him before and I had enough in my budget for another comic – after listening to the podcast I now have my doubts about it, but I’ll give it an issue to not suck abysmally and another two to catch my attention.

I’ll also be reading: Justice League Dark, Batman, Superman, Nightwing and Demon Knights. I also know people who’ll be getting Action, Detective, Flash, Swamp Thing, Animal Man and Deathstroke though whether I read those will be very dependent on what I hear. I’m leaning towards giving Swamp Thing and Animal Man a shot though.

I was also interested to hear your thoughts on Batgirl. It’s a tricky one. I kind of grew up haaaaating what happened to Babs in the Killing Joke and also kind of hating that she retired from crimefighting first, but also loving Oracle a lot, so it was always really dissonant in my brain. It was interesting to me that you focused less on the issue of disabled representation (which I DO think is an issue and a complicated one with a couple of different angles and no simple answers) but rather on Babs going “back” to a role she outgrew and left. I was kind of worried about that too, til I read an interview with Simone where she kind of addressed that and said that no, it wouldn’t work for current Barbara because she’s so far beyond that but this new Barbara will be “at a much earlier starting point”. It’s so frustrating not knowing what the story will be? Because it seems that even if she has her history as Oracle partially intact, it *can’t* be 100% as it was because of those comments and just due to *time*. I’m wondering if she ever gave up the cape in this version? Man, I don’t know.

But basically I love the character and I love the writer, so I’m gonna give it a shot.

I’ll really miss Miller’s Batgirl though. I enjoyed your mentioning him in the podcast. I totally agree about it being a freaking crime that he’s not writing anything. I love the way it’s lighthearted and fun without being meaningless or devoid of real *heart*. But I don’t think fun comics sell half as well as ones with random violence and the word “DARK” on the cover. I got nothing in particular against Winnick (I’m getting both Catwoman and Batwing afterall!) or even his take on Power Girl, but I do also miss Palmiotti & Gray’s Power Girl for that reason.

Anyway, I’d better cut this short before the comment is as long as the podcast! :)

Thanks again for a far more entertaining time shirking the dishes than I usually have.

15. generaldark says:

thanks for the podcast guys. I have been felling kind of low today and this has made it go away :)

Neat podcast, guys!
    I totally feel Insideman on the daisy dukes issue. It’s similar to how I feel about some of the material they slip into mainstream superhero comics. Just do softcore porn! Geez! Marvel too! You have your Max line…why are you trying to slip racy material into your 616 titles? The characters that you license to Saturday morning cartoons? Thing is, 30 yrs ago they would show a topless scene or gore but in a line that was separate from their superhero stuff, but I’ve whined about this subject before….

Jolt Cola! I remember having a copy of Spin magazine where they referred to Jolt as “crack in a can”. Back when I was 19 we’d do a can of Jolt and 2 caffeine pills and dance all night at underage dance clubs. Yeah, my heart is still cursing at me for that. That and the malt liquor.

As far as nuclear based heroes are concerned, Firestorm >Captain Atom. Sorry, but Cap was corny back in the 60′s. Plus his name is “Captain Atom”.

Tim Daley! I want you guys to photo shop him into the Wonder Woman comic as Trevor Barnes! Maybe he wouldn’t have had to die.

“The Adventures of Jack Shit”..I’d buy that comic!

IM’s Mid-season replacement theory. I can totally see that. I think that’s partly why they haven’t said much about a whole host of other characters. They may be saving Powergirl, Shazam, and Black Lighting etc (heroes who have a fan base) for when Resurrection Man, Man of War or Batwing fail.

Hawk and Dove. I think isn’t this the mini-series that Rob made his debut on? I can’t remember which inker that made it look competent.

“Project S.C.U.M.B.A.G”…I’d uh, look at that web comic.

Another fine podcast, fellas.

17. I’m actully listening to this for the first time, sorry i’m late guys, the boxing episode was in season 3 of BSG.

18. (mguy1977) Matthew Guy says:

Any news for a new podcast in the near future? I’m eager to learn your thoughts on Flashpoint, Fear (Nothing) Itself from Marvel & the new slant of DC books plus any indie gems you want to shine the light on plus a rant or two for good measure.

Matthew