Insideman’s Pull List™ Hardcover, Graphic Novel & Manga Picks for 1.25.12

“Why always so negative, Ian?” “Why can’t you ever say anything nice about comics, Ian?” “Hell, why can’t you say anything nice about anything, Ian?”

Okay, let me buck this perception (just this once):
I like A LOT of the Hardcovers & Graphic Novels coming out this week.
I like that there is a great selection. A bit of everything… And that Marvel doesn’t dominate the list.
I like the House of Lies TV series on Showtime. 3rd episode was positively stunning.
I like Kristen Bell’s teeny tiny feet. (See like just above.)
I still like Lana Del Rey. Her XFM London interview today convinced me more.
I like listening to Adele’s 21… No matter how many times the songs are overplayed.
I like how finally watching all the Harry Potter movies makes me appreciate Mike Carey’s Unwritten comic book even more.
I like Steven Tyler’s swagger. I wish all 63 year olds were this fun.
I like that Robert Kirkman stopped The Infinite when he didn’t get the art he wanted from Rob Liefeld.
I like DC’s We Can Be Heroes campaign to help the starving in the Horn of Africa.
I really like cats.

So what’s not to like… Hmmm?

As much as I loved/lusted after John Romita Sr’s Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane Watson as a wee child, I had no idea how beautiful women could be in this graphic art form until I discovered my first Milo Manara book.

The simple, seemingly effortless lines. The understated facial expressions that speak volumes with no words. The strong, self-assured, happily sexual women.

There isn’t– and quite possibly never will be– anything more erotic than a “Manara woman”.
Which, of course, is why this collection is the HOT PICK of the WEEK!

Absolute Kingdom Come (New Print) - Recommended… In a CHEAPER format.
A.D.D. GN
Anubis Warrior – I’m giving this a try
Astonishing Spider-man And Wolverine – Own the Hardcover
Avatar Last Airbender Vol 1 Promise Part 1 – Uh, no. Not even me.
Avengers Solo Avengers Classic Vol 1
Batman And Robin White Knight Dark Knight HC
Batman Beyond Industrial Revolution
Bone Quest for Spark Book 2 Novel SC - Recommended
Brenda Starr Reporter The Collected Daily and Sunday Newspaper Strips Vol 1
Captain America by Brubaker Vol 1 HC
Catwoman Vol 1 - Recommended. Already own some version
Creepy Archives Vol 12 HC
Daredevil by Brubaker and Lark Ultimate Collection Book 1 Recommended. Own it.
Daredevil by Waid Vol 1 HC - Runner-up HOT PICK of the WEEK!
Fantastic Life
FF Vol 2 HC
Hawkman by Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol 1 HC
Irredeemable Vol 8
Jason & Argonauts Campfire Edition
Judge Anderson Psychic Crime Files
LIL Abner Vol 4 HC
Little Green Men Small Package Big Fun
Manara Library Vol 2 HC - HOT PICK of the WEEK!
MMW Uncanny X-Men Vol 4 SC
My Best Friend’s a Booger - This Week’s POS*!
Naughty & Nice Good Girl Art Bruce Timm SC
Nelson Mandela Campfire Edition
Official Handbook of Marvel Universe A to Z Vol 3
Polly and the Pirates Vol 2
Red Skull Incarnate
Resurrection Man Vol 1
Sam & Twitch Complete Collection Vol 3 HC
Shadowlaw – I am giving this a try too
Silence of Our Friends
Space Family Robinson Archives Vol 3 HC
Spontaneous HC
Strikeforce Morituri Vol 1 – Ahhh… The smell of… Nostalgia
Sweet Tooth Vol 4 Endangered Species
Wally Wood Strange Worlds of Science Fiction – GN of last week’s HOT PICK!
Warren Ellis Atmospherics Color Edition
Warren Ellis Atmospherics Color Edition Sketch HC
Wolverine: Wolverine vs X-Men – Own the Hardcover
X-Men Legacy Aftermath – Own the Hardcover

Apple Selection Vol 1 - Manga PICK of the WEEK!
Arisa Vol 6
Cardcaptor Sakura Dark Horse Omnibus Edition Vol 3
Sailor Moon Kodansha Edition Vol 3

You’ve read all the hype by now… Reinvents the character after the Shadowland debacle… Makes Daredevil live again…

Bottom line: No matter how outspoken Mark Waid can sometimes be (a grumpy, bitter guy like me prefers the term “straight-forward”)– there is no doubt about one thing: The man can write comics. He can write the hell out of them. He can take the shittiest ideas and turn them golden… And left to his own devices, he can create some of the best CORPORATE OWNED titles ever. (See Absolute Kingdom Come in the list above.)

Just this once, believe the hype.

I hope it’s common knowledge by now that I devoutly believe that there should be comics for everybody. You can ask Jose how much I hate that most comics meant for kids are usually priced at an astonishing allowance-busting $3.99.

And I’ve usually enjoyed Tyler Kirkham’s art. So, in my heart… I gotta believe there is nothing wrong with this book… Even though I have long had an admitted aversion to boogers and children who think it is charming to pull them out of their noses and play with them.

What I will not stand for is the PRICE: $6.99 for 34 pages.

WTF? Is the industry headed toward producing kids books that can only be afforded by Richie Fucking Rich now?!

This entry was posted in ALTERNATIVE COMICS, Commentary, COSTLY COMIC BOOKS, Ian MacMillan, Insideman, Insideman's Pull List™, New Release List, New This Week, Opinion and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Insideman’s Pull List™ Hardcover, Graphic Novel & Manga Picks for 1.25.12

1. PhilBetaGAMMA says:

Although l’m more of a Frazetta, or Stevens guy, as far as the ladies go, l can see why u have a fascination w/ Manara. There’s an elegance & grace 2 his work, that is rarely, if ever seen in 2day’s comics.
    On the CW, or was it UPN, then? l avoided Veronica Mars like the plague, but when CBS decided 2 run it, 4 about a month, l gave the show a chance, and l was hooked! l caught up w/ the original eps of VM, & stayed w/ the show, 2 the end. Then as lackluster as Heroes had gotten after the 1st season, Elle (Bell) was the “bright” spot, 4 that show. l even love her appearances w/ Craig Fergeson, on the Late Late Show. Also…it doesn’t hurt, that she’s a fellowette Michiganian!
    Steven Tyler’s immortal!!
    6.99 4 a comic about boogers? Me thinksnoy :-)
    Something on my computer prompted me 2 add XfmLondon (actually about a dz channels) onto it, 7 so far, Xfm has been the channel l stayed with. lt’s a little bit on the electonic side of things 4 me, but nonetheless, still a nice blend. Just got thru listening 2 some White Stripes, wgile writing this.

• PhilBetaGAMMA says:

Me thinksnot :-) btw!

I was just discussing XFM London, Phil.

The following are ALL London Times:

I don’t mind the electronica but I enjoy the AltRock far more. The Mon-Thursday dubstep and new music shows (from 8pm to 2am) are NOT my cup of tea. Way too much and overdone. I often enjoy Eddy Temple Morris’ “The Remix” show from 10pm to 2am Friday nights.

During the different shifts:

XFM Breakfast Show with Danny Wallace can be loads of fun with lots of talk. I almost wish they would can the music and just talk and goof around. Matt Dyson is very funny on the show as well.

Ian Camfield is another XFM legend from 10am to 2pm Monday-Friday… He spins AltRock but is a huge metal fan.

I love Steve Harris from 2-5pm (super enthusiastic, huge music fan).

Eoghan McDermott from 5-8pm. With his bits, he is as close to a an American “Drive Time” jock and he is impish and devilishly funny.

Rich Walters ALWAYS spins GREAT SETS from 2am-6:30am. He NEVER fails to entertain the hell out of me.

Ian Camfield and Kat Corbett (from LA’s KROQ) do an AltRock countdown show called Import/Export from 6pm-10pm on Friday nights. It’s amazing how FAR BEHIND the new music curve American listeners can be.

Shak on Saturday/Sunday overnight shifts from 2am-8am is my absolute favorite. He has an uncanny ability to merge tune after tune. It truly is an art form and he does it as good as anyone I have ever heard.

Of course, our SHINING LIGHT (the “VOICE” for the IMJ Podcasts)… The uber-talented LLIANA BIRD is on every Saturday and Sunday from 3pm-7pm.

All in all, they have a great mix of AltRock at XFM… I just wish the format wouldn’t be over-run by ALL that electronica from 8pm to 2am London Time. (Which is 12 noon to 6pm here in LA… “Prime Time” for me.)

But, of course, that’s just my personal opinion. I’m sure the fact that I listen to the station almost exclusively for 18 hours a day would satisfy any station programmer. :)

• Yesterday I visited the website of XFM London for the first time..
        Got a message that they cannot broadcast outside the UK(wtf?) but if you are in the UK you can listen so give us your uk-postcode,,so I used one from the postcode lottery website and I was in…Winning!

H/S, I’m sure it has to do with music licenses and broadcast license fees. Now that “terrestrial” stations are also on the internet, they must prove they are doing what they can to “keep” the music they’re playing to only being listened to within prescribed boundaries… Otherwise, they are seen as “encroaching” on other stations that are also paying heft license fees. It is a completely antiquated idea because of the internet– but just DRM– it will eventually not be necessary.

Without requiring the code, I am sure the station would have to pay increased presentation fees.

I did exactly what you did when I first went on too… Except I used the postal code for one of the main UK Forbidden Planet comic stores. If anyone else would like to check the station out, here is a valid UK Postal Code… No search needed!

CM9 4XD

Manara is one of the greatest artists in world comics and its great to finally see an english translation of these books, some of which haven’t been translated before and others that have been out of print for 15-20 years. The first volume of Manara: Erotic is in the solicits this month.

There is a nice Manara segment at 18:34 in the following clip

• Have you read stuff from Enki Bilal? And do you know Axel Moonshine?

• PhilBetaGAMMA says:

@Locus: Glad u shared ths piece w/ evry1, Locus1 A bt of this, really takes me back 2 my Heavy Metal days. ln particular, the parts w/ Bilal, & Lberatore. While their styles r different, l’d describe them both as being able 2 convey a sort of ‘cold’ sen suality 2 their artwork.

Also cool 2 see Bolland get a nod..l think l had 2 look “back” 4 his (Judge Dredd/2000AD) series. My intro 2 hi work was DC’s Camelot 3000.

Nice piece,all around!

• Locusmortis says:

You’re welcome! Just to put it in context, Comics the 9th art was a programme that was shown as late night filler in 1990 and was never repeated but it had a big effect on me and introduced me to a lot of artists and writers from Europe. There were at least 6 episodes in the series but only 2 have surfaced on youtube so far, I believe that it was produced by a tv company in the basque region of spain and translated for an english audience, thus the slightly odd grammar and phrasing at times.

I’d love if someone did an up to date versions with comics from 1985 to the present date, diversity in comics really needs to be promoted.

I was never a huge fan of liberatore but I agree completely with you about Bilal, theres something aloof yet compelling about his female characters.

As for Bolland, he’s up there in my top 10 Dredd artists with Carlos Ezquerra, Henry Flint, Ron Smith, Steve Dillon, Cam Kennedy, Brendan McCarthy, John Higgins, Carl Critchlow, Kev Walker and McMahon. The Judge Dredd Casefile books are great for JD work, Bolland features in volumes 2, 3, 4 and 5 (the 2 Judge Death stories are some of the best comics ever full stop)

3. I think that the (comic) book industry will go digital in 10-20 years…Kids will look at us funny when we hold a book and the books that are still produced will be high-end limited deluxe editions..
    I also think that more people simply cant afford any of the comic books anymore.

I like Milo Manara’s art, I still have an out of print tpb buried somewhere in some long box, however I think it might have been a creative mistake to put him on that X-Women thing some months back. I get that it was originally for an European audience that doesn’t care that much for superheroes, but it kinda seemed like a softcore film with the spicy parts cut out. It was kinda weird to see Kitty with her but arched in the air ( I know she’s about 18 now, but still). If it were me , i’d put Milo on a more fringe character and just let him go wild.

I used to feel the same way about fictional characters, Ed… And was actually upset with myself when I first saw Disney’s Little Mermaid and instantly felt the urge to bang her… Especially when I realized that she was, like, what… 14 or 15 in the movie?

But then I figured that, Hey, if it was okay with her Dad, King Triton, for her to marry the Prince… Why in the hell should I feel so pervy?

Maybe marriage/age rules are different in fish kingdoms. What’s the life expectancy of a Mermaid anyway?

5. Tiger Topher says:

I agree with you that Mark Waid can write comics, but something goes terribly wrong when he tries to write Spider-Man. Like many have said, his his recent issues of Daredevil have been pretty good, but the issue of Amazing that he penned just recently was really hard to get through.

I’ve been hearing about that Spidey story, Tiger.

Every writer can have a bad story… And like every writer, Waid has some clunkers in his closet. That’s why I wrote, “And left to his own devices, he can create some of the best CORPORATE OWNED titles ever.” Since Marvel editorial continues to seemingly oversee Spider-man main title events with an iron stranglehold… It would be hard to tell if his original product bore any resemblance to the finished issue without seeing the original script.

If you read Dan Slott’s She-Hulk issues, he borders on greatness. Reading his Amazing Spider-man work is a classroom course in superfluous, inconsequential writing. Which tells me that– the MORE popular the Marvel character, the MORE Editorial influence and interference.

And to be fair, writers/artists need Editors… As long as said Editors are doing their jobs without the OVERT CORPORATE INFLUENCE that infects so many Marvel books nowadays.

You can only imagine the number of times writers come in and pitch Iron Man, Spider-Man, Avengers, Thor, etc., etc, stories… Only to hear, “Doesn’t work because of the upcoming movies… Doesn’t work because of the upcoming movies… Doesn’t work because of the upcoming movies…”

On the other hand, maybe the strong LIEFELD VIRUS had already infected the industry long before Liefeld copped to its’ existence the other day… And just like Rob, Mark has decided that NOT every page or story needs to be a gem… Just presentable. ;)

• Tiger Topher says:

I think part of the reason that Waid can’t write Spider-Man is because he views him as a loser who shouldn’t ever win. And that’s not me putting words in his mouth. That’s something he actually said in an interview.

I can’t even wrap my head around how someone who’s been around comics for as long as Waid has can think of Spider-Man as a loser. I mean, he’s definitely a pathetic loser nowadays, but historically he’s been anything but a loser.

6. VictimPrime says:

I remember back in the day wanting sooo bad to order Milo Manara books, the ads taunting me from inside the pages of Heavy Metal, unfortunately I had nether the money or the guts to actually order them. My grandmother would certainly want to know what was so important that I had to order it through the mail, and I couldn’t come up with a good reason to keep her from looking, and with my Grandma, all it would take it one stray boob and I would have been on lock-down until my High School Graduation.

also I’m really enjoying Waid’s run on Daredevil right now and I think I know the reason why he writes so well for Daredevil and so poorly for Spider-Man. Simply, right now Waid is writing Daredevil like he’s old school Spider-Man and he writes Spider-man like old angst ridden Daredevil. I know, weird right? ;)

Comments are closed.