I’ve been watching anime, whether I was aware of what it was or not, since I was 4 years old.

In the mid 80s, I became a little more cognoscent of what anime actually was. By the early 90s, I was buying every VHS cassette released by AnimEigo, U.S. Renditions, U.S. MANGA Corps, A.D. Vision, Pioneer and Manga Entertainment… While still getting some fan-subs on the side. Then, when the new millennium hit– my anime purchasing suddenly dropped off considerably. I didn’t stop buying because I was no longer a fan or no longer had the income to pay for it… I just quickly tired of the sharp decline in overall anime quality.

Looking back on that dark decade, I can safely say that 2006 was the last time I truly LOVED a new anime project. That year both Paprika and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time were released… And both were amazing. Since then? Nothing really but guilty pleasures.

Yes, I watched High School of the Dead and liked it for what it was. I am even sort of looking forward to seeing Persona 4: The Animation... But not because of my overall love of anime. I just thoroughly enjoyed the video game.

And it wasn’t until I saw this brief teaser for Sakamichi no Apollon that I actually got excited to watch anime again.

In truth, Sakamichi no Apollon’s video teaser didn’t impress me anywhere near as much as the impressive creator list behind it. (You’ll find I usually base my excitement level for as-yet-unreleased projects almost entirely on the list of creative personnel involved.)

The following is all I need to know to be there for Sakamichi no Apollon on release day:

The Plot: Nishimi Kaoru has moved from city to city and school to school because of his father’s job. So the first day at his new school was just routine for him. Being intellectual and the new transfer student, he has always been seen as an outcast and all Kaoru had to do was bare it until the next time he moved. But things were slightly different this time. First, he started to get close to the class president, Mukae Ritsuko, and, secondly, unlikely as it seemed, grew closer to Kawabuchi Sentaro. Sentaro was infamous for getting into fights, skipping class and was an overall bad boy. Strangely enough, the three of them find common ground in music, namely jazz, and Kaoru finds himself actually enjoying the new town.

Directed by: Shinichirō Watanabe (Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop)

Character Designs by: Nobuteru Yūki (Record of Loduss War, Angel Cop, Battle Angel Alita, Heat Guy J, Vision of Escaflowne)

Music by: Yoko Kanno (Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Vision of Escaflowne, GiTS: Stand Alone Complex)

I own every anime series listed above– either on DVD or VHS… And that’s why I cannot wait for this series to start. Finally, a new anime that doesn’t revolve around some Moe-blob bullshit.

Sakamichi no Apollon will begin airing in Japan this Spring. No word as of yet on an American release.

Via: [Anime News Network] and [Twitch]

This entry was posted in Anime, Commentary, Geek Culture, Opinion and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Is ‘Sakamichi no Apollon’ the Series Old-School Anime Fans Have Been Waiting For?

1. VictimPrime says:

Looks great Jose, just listening to that little bit of music in the trailer had me flashing back to Cowboy Bebop, it’s been awhile since I’ve been tempted to shell out money for some anime, but I can’t wait to see when this one comes across the ocean to buy it.

• M. Fewko says:

It is really relieving to see Watanabe directing still. The industry needs him badly! Otomo could MAYBE come back too, (but considering his legacy, he doesn’t have to) haha

Hmm, Looks interesting. I’m not sure I’m understanding the reference to moe-blob. “Moe-Blob” is someone who’s cute just for the sake of being cute? I haven’t watched alot of humorous anime, so I just want to make sure I’m understanding the term.

3. M. Fewko says:

ALL THINGS died with the internet age. Comics got worse, video games got worse, movies got worse, tv got worse, hip-hop got worse, techno got way worse, and anime, sadly, got worse.

I too fell in love with GIRL WHO LEAPT THRU TIME when it first premiered in the states in 2008 at the NEW YORK ANIME FESTIVAL. It was almost an empty room but kept filling, since most people realized, “wait a minute, this looks like something astonishing.” which it absolutely was.

Check out SUMMER WARS too Jose if you haven’t (same director, maybe the influences of Satoshi Kon will live on thru him! They certainly have thru the director of REDLINE.)

But this looks fun, (even thou that clip was kinda short, but still sweet enough) I wouldn’t bother with the US release since Bandai is failing big time, I doubt it’ll get picked up until at least 2014. Most Japanese released animes have English subs with them (poor ones, but I’d rather get it new than wait for an English Dub I’ll never bother to even listen to.)

i agree impressive creators dull trailer hope its more then what it looks like

Well, this series is based on a Josei manga. It will probably be more Kare Kano than Evangelion and I am perfectly fine with that. I just wished it would have shown more.

Strike Witches is the only series I’ve been impressed with lately but it would have been much better if was less Moe and had less fan-service (if my 15 year old self could hear me complaining about too much fan-service he’d hit me upside the head).

When it comes to anime though, mecha is more my thing, I have to say I loved Gundam 00. Broken Blade is probably the anime I’m most looking forward to at the moment.

6. I’m always looking for good anime, so thanks for the heads up J..

As for good new anime, I really liked Durarara!!