IMJ Open Thread

This entry was posted in IMJ Open Thread. Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to IMJ Open Thread

1. bello1234 says:

Sad, but true looks like I’m only going to be buying games for my nintendo and ps2 from now on. I want to support my local video game store not the fucks at Sony and Microsoft.

• I think you can’t lump Best Buy in as much because they have been screwing themselves for years by continually gutting and rearranging the store and being less and less the place you can find anything you want.

That being said, until there is a way I can back up purchased games from my Xbox, I’ll always buy physical, new or used. I’m one of these guys that just likes to be prepared and hard copies when software inevitably fails. Or when publishers decide a game I love isn’t one they think is doing well enough and cut all support for it.

• M. Fewko says:

There was a time when Best Buy housed every decent anime, up and coming foreign films, fair quantities for popular games…. that time didn’t last long :/

• bello1234 says:

The only time this year that I have gone to Best Buy was to buy my Fiancee the Muppets on Blu Ray last week. There’s a store by me called old skool video games that sells current and classic games including all consoles. I buy my stuff used there including old NES games and Xbox 360 games. Hopefully they’ll still be around for the next few years otherwise I’ll only buy games from Ebay. I’m tired of getting ripped off at Gamestop and paying full price for games that only last 6 hours.

2. Whose going to catch Betty White’s Off Their Rockers tonight? I watched the preview episode a couple months back and it is hilarious.

I saw the commercial for it a few times. Those old people seem really mean. I don’t think I can condone that type of behavior.

yamato 2199 looks good
    suburgatory is pretty good show

4. M. Fewko says:

Bonus points to EA for responding maturely on the matter and for mentioning the blithe, common hate speech that’s present in online forums and directed at online gamers…

Homophobes? If you’re reading this? PLEASEEEEEE FUCK OFF. Seriously. shut. the. fuck. up. and stop trying to lobby your twisted, hate-stirring views into Star Wars games or Mass Effect or ANYTHING. For the record, there are FAR WORSE things happening to the Star Wars franchise than LGBT content being present (i.e. adding scenes to the new blu ray? Maybe write a letter protesting that!)

I’m getting so sick of seeing progress be trampled with antediluvian principles…

• Morlock50 says:

Agree 100 %. I always had this impression that comic and sci-fi fans were a little more intelligent than the average bar patron. When did fans turn into such meatheads?

• I think, on the whole, sci-fi fans are more intelligent, the problem is that sci-fi video gamers is still a minority amongst homophobic, meathead video gamers that happen to play sci-fi games.

• M. Fewko says:

A good point. There is a huge difference between Sci-fi fans and morons who play Sci-fi games. Video games in general are like a fast food for entertainment, and since we live in an age of immediate gratification, it’s no wonder that good, diverse games like Mass Effect still appeal to the lowest of the low… most of them don’t even take in all the quality of the writing and depth to the characterization.

suda51 news
    [Update: New story details have emerged which seem to contradict some of the earlier reports. Apparently, the player character is an "Executioner" whose job is to take out "S-level criminals." Intriguing!]

Goichi Suda is a busy boy. Not only is he working on Lollipop Chainsaw, but he has a brand new game in development, alongside his studio Grasshopper Manufacture, and Lollipop’s Japanese publisher, Kadokawa Games. It’s called Killer Is Dead, but don’t go expecting it to be a Killer7 sequel.

Killer Is Dead tells the story of a condemned man who must track down and kill his own assassin, while Gameplay is described as a blending of both Killer7 and No More Heroes. There will be sword-based combat, and some extra features yet to be revealed. It’s been touted as the “dark side of James Bond,” while “beautiful Bond girls” are promised.

The game’s slated for a 2013 release and is planned for Xbox 360 and PS3.

6. Morlock50 says:

I’m thinking of getting some DC back issues today. I wanted to ask everyone here what they would recommend for post-Crisis DC superhero books.

what the most fascinating man in the world said about violence in video games

8. megamanx4ever says:

Fuck it. The animal house ending is the true ending to Mass Effect 3 for me.

• I’m actually really surprised that it is actually going to be free.

Can you imagine the shit that would get slung their way if they charged for it though? EA and Bioware have made a huge mistake by giving in.

• I completely agree on both parts. Though we can only truly gauge the whole debacles effects until it comes out. I really wouldn’t be surprised if we simply see an extended scenes of why the Normandy is in the Relay network, what actually happens to those on the Normandy when it crashes and those left on earth. Those are the only things they can fix in cinematic. Maybe the epilogue scenes will somehow explain the “Relay destruction should be the equivalent of a supernova” retcon and how everyone trapped in the Sol system survive.

It’s funny though, just taking a look at the Xbox site I go to for news, the people there are already mixing it up as actual new endings. So the rage will come back, I think. And a part of me hopes it does, because a lot of these people won’t get it till some one just stands up to them and says, “Tough balls. We threw you a bone, we helped get what you want without giving up our right to create our product how we wanted it. You don’t like, don’t by any more Mass Effect stuff.”

• megamanx4ever says:

If they don’t change the fact that the fucking Mass Relays explode I’m sorry I don’t have that much hope for the new “clarification” DLC. I will wait and see of course to see what they have planned but I genuinely have very little hope at this point.

I don’t think they are going to change anything about the ending. Just add to it.

• megamanx4ever says:

Than yeah I have no hope for it now.

• Yeah, there are no changes coming from everything I’ve read from BioWare. Just long moments in the hopes to explain things better.

I do hope that they clarify why every Relay system isn’t destroyed, because if they don’t, it is just another notch that they can’t pull off there dream of this being the next Star Wars.

9. Tiger Topher says:

I just came home to a wonderful surprise – six Scott Pilgrim books! Thanks for the prize Ian and Jose.

just when i thought community couldnt get more amazing … tonight’s episode a comic masterpiece

april 10th joss whedon will be doing an ask me anything on reddit
    also guild wars 2 pre purchases will be available

12. megamanx4ever says:

This is very interesting. Shame Patrick Weekes wasn’t allowed to help write the ending to Mass Effect 3 because he wrote the majority of the two best parts of the game in my opinion which was Tuchanka and Rannoch.

• it is surprising and I think Patrick hit all the nails on the head. These are similar problems that happen even in books when a writer gets popular enough that editors just know the book will sell so they don’t make the book go through a true editorial process. A truly great writer get get away with it, but not all popular writers are great writers. And if there is anything that should have had some sort of rigorous editorial process, it is the ending of the game and the final pay off for the player.

13. Tiger Topher says:

Are there any Nada Surf fans on here? My girlfriend and I caught them in concert a little earlier this evening and we both really enjoyed the show. Give them a listen if you aren’t already familiar with their music.

• kurumais says:

i hvent heard that name in ages i wouldnt say im a fan but them seemed like a decent band had no idea they were still together good to know

• Tiger Topher says:

Yeah, they’re still together and I’d actually say that they’ve gotten better over the years, unlike so many other bands who start off strong and get worse over time.

• I’ve been a fan since “Popular” came out. I haven’t had the chance to get there recent stuff though. Great band!

bettie breitweiser makes comics better every comic i see her name on , is really great looking whether she is working with her hubby mitch or butch guice or gabrial hardman or chris samnee i just love the look of those books. she is one pf those things that makes me happy im still a comic fan

craig from dr who has a hit play called one man two guvnors its currently on broadway after being a hit in britian
    i might have to see it

16. megamanx4ever says:

This looks like a really awesome DLC pack for Mass Effect 3! Also major kudos for Bioware for releasing this one for free because I would easily pay for something like this.

• It does look awesome and it might get me to play multiplayer during the week for a while. But I really wish that one of these weekend event things it a credit bonus instead of a XP bonus. all the power and customization in is the weapons you can use. The skill tree is meaningless since you can level half way in two game and can level to 17 every game. It is a really shoddy MP setup. I have no incentive to play.

if bendis is leaving the avengers who is taking over? and i hope that jeff parker’s dark avengers doesnt count as songbird’s avenger days since it we learned she was an avenger in avengers4ever.

18. lol at Cigar Smokers being in the Thing We Hate section :) I can’t stand the smell of most cigars because they give me a headache.

I also like that Gerry Conway is in the Writer We Like section. He is my favorite Spider-Man writer. When I met him a few years ago I must’ve been the only one that brought him a DC comic he wrote to sign. Everyone was bombarding him with issues of ASM. When I showed him the DC comic I had him sign (Batman#358, I believe) he must’ve forgotten that he wrote it because he checked the front page :)

The Midwest Anime Convention is coming to the Chicagoland area at the end of the month. I was wondering if anyone was considering attending?

fringe i love altliv i love her swagger and convidence i could watch a show solely about the otherside

saw first episode of game of thrones season 2 nice catch up episode time for a season 1 marathon

Kuru,

I loved Game of Thrones too… But I suggest people get a primer or something (like last week’s Entertainment Weekly)… Because even after watching it, I was sort of reeling trying to remember all the finer points. I am no fan of 13 episode seasons… And this is exactly where all American TV shows (especially dramas) are headed. While I’m at it, I am no fan of them breaking Dr. Who into 6 and 7 episode story arcs either. I understand we get Who more often this way… But it is still painful.

Conversely, I finally started watching the last season of The Tudors last night after waiting almost 2 years to see it. I was a little clueless watching the first episode (even though it had a 5 minute “catch up” segment at the beginning– which helped)… But by episode 3 I was back in full swing.

I suspect the same thing will happen with Game of Thrones.

All that said, I LOVE that Amazon Prime Videos are now on Playstation 3. The system is much faster than using my TV to connect to Amazon service and much more stable, quicker and reliable than the Roku XS box.

A Bonus: Since I am friends with Jose on PS3, I often see what ungodly hour he finally decides to go offline… So I can pretty much figure out what time he is going to wake up the next day and start posting. ;)

• As far as the Doctor Who part, I agree with you that is dumb, especially since we don’t get more. It has always be thirteen episodes (not including Christmas specials, and under Moffet the don’t seem to matter anymore) and last years split proves they should have kept it that way. The first arc was cohesive until the final episode and the conclusion felt rushed. The second arc had to rebuild the momentum and conclude the over all season arc with one less episode that the first arc. If they had ended it with two episode ending, I think it would have worked a lot better and it would have been a 14 episode season.

As for all dramas becoming 13 episodes, I’m not too upset about it. I think there are a lot of shows that should have been 13 episodes that were dragged out to 24 and it muddled the story. Ringer is a perfect example and now they are trying ultra-condense it to end the show on a final note. I think there are shows that can live as 24 episode season too. Fringe and Supernatural work well in the extended season.

Here’s your GoT Primer.

21. J. says:

FYI. This started On Demand yesterday in case you were looking for something to watch tonight. I’ve also seen copies of it floating around out in the ether as well. I’ll be checking it out myself.

22. M. Fewko says:

So what do the junkies think of Mulholland Drive?