Before Watchmen Pages and Character Designs “Leak” Onto the Net

Down below you will find a slew of pics taken by the website BuzzFeed of the upcoming Before Watchmen series of mini-series. The photos are taken from a binder which will most likely be making the rounds at comic conventions at the DC booth from now until the the series is released.

There is no doubt that the highlight of these pics are the character designs from The Minutemen by artist Darwyn Cooke. Though I have enjoyed Cooke’s Parker graphic novels it is great to see him doing some more superhero work. No matter how stale I think the genre has become, Cooke’s work here is really making me look forward to his mini-series. I only wish more writers and artists took a cue from Darwyn. Superhero comics in the industry would definitely be better off if they did.

And in case you have forgotten the creative teams working on the multiple mini-series, here’s a reminder.

BEFORE WATCHMEN includes:

- RORSCHACH (4 issues) Writer: Brian Azzarello, Artist: Lee Bermejo
MINUTEMEN (6 issues) Writer/Artist: Darwyn Cooke
COMEDIAN (6 issues) Writer: Brian Azzarello, Artist: J.G. Jones
DR. MANHATTAN (4 issues) Writer: J. Michael Straczynski, Artist: Adam Hughes
NITE OWL (4 issues) Writer: J. Michael Straczynski, Artists: Andy and Joe Kubert
OZYMANDIAS (6 issues) Writer: Len Wein, Artist: Jae Lee
SILK SPECTRE (4 issues) Writer: Darwyn Cooke, Artist: Amanda Conner

Before Watchmen begins in June.

Via[BuzzFeed]

This entry was posted in Commentary, DC Comics, Geek Culture, Opinion and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Before Watchmen Pages and Character Designs “Leak” Onto the Net

1. megamanx4ever says:

That artwork of Silk Spectre (1 and 2) and The Minutemen looks awesome!

im not sure why everyone calling these designs? the characters were already designed over 2 decades ago. isnt this just artwork from before watchmen?

Ummm…no. These are still character designs. Just because they are based on older material means jack shit. This is how Cooke will be drawing the characters which is not exactly how Gibbons drew them. They are BASED on Gibbons original deigns. It’s the same thing as when artist does “Character Designs” for an anime that is based on a manga or when a new artist takes over an established character in American comics. This is how the characters will be appearing in THEIR version.

I guess I should think twice before using actual professional industry terms.

• kurumais says:

no not you all the major fanboy sites are trumpeting these as character designs the phrase character design is used universally instead artwork or whatever . it just struck me as odd that every site were calling them the same thing. personally i dont see any deference between these designs and dave’s. i guess i should add to me a design means this is what they are going to look like when we do it. well i already knew what they all looked like. will the next artist who takes over spidey say these are my spider man designs? its a bit odd to me.

“Character Design” means more than just a costume design. Do you think that Steve Ditko’s Spider-Man and Todd McFarlane’s Spider-Man look exactly the same? Is Mcfarlane’s Mary Jane identical to John Romita, Sr.’s?

You’re “splitting hairs” again, Kuru.

Many independent Trades I read– especially like a new Mike Mignola based book (like Hellboy) with a NEW ARTIST– almost always feature “character designs” of established characters in the back.

“Character Designs” is a catch-all phrase that currently means TWO things: The design of ESTABLISHED characters by a NEW artist or the designs of NEW characters never seen before.

Every artist likes to feel like they bring something fresh and new to the table– whether the characters or already established or brand new… And as Jose said, Cooke is definitely freshening the characters here– in his own style. I get that you find it odd that “character designs” can mean BOTH of what I described above… But it just does.

As always, Jose fastidiously researched his article. I am happy to say that neither he nor I have ever been asked (or forced) to retract one of our statements or opinions since IMJ started. (At least, so far.)

I personally did admit to making a mistake on negatively mischaracterizing Mark Millar’s entire Superior HC a few months ago (after only reading the first 3 issues). But that was only my wish to set the record straight– after reading the entire HC and feeling the subsequent issues made up for the first 3 sub-par comics. Still, no one asked or “threatened” me to make me do so… And it is a mistake I will NOT make again.

All that said, Jose was perfectly within his rights to describe Cooke’s efforts as he did. Hope that clears up any confusion you may have had after reading the article.