Who’s Getting What This Week?

Some pretty good indies will be released this week. Nice. The only thing I know about Punk Rock Jesus is that it is Sean Murphy’s new comic. And you know what? That’s all I really need to know. Murphy is one a the few artists in the industry I’ll follow no matter what book he is on. And if any of you are looking for a good new indie I highly recommend The Massive. Though Brian Wood’s story is interesting and as good as ever, I would have to say the highlight of the title is Kristian Donaldson’s incredible art (which is exquisitely colored by Dave Stewart). It is one of the best looking books in the industry.

Wow…I’m actually excited about some comics…Weird.

Here’s what I’ll be buying tomorrow:

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 9 #11
Chew Secret Agent Poyo #1
Demon Knights #11
Massive #2
Punk Rock Jesus #1

What are you getting this week?

This entry was posted in Dark Horse Comics, DC Comics, DC/Vertigo, Image Comics. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Who’s Getting What This Week?

1. Batman #11 – I know I said before that I was dropping all my DC books, but the last issue I got from my mail order service (I’m a couple months ahead so I wouldn’t drop till #13) was really good. That, and I need to stay on the read the Joker arc that’s coming. Capullo is a great artist. This is the only DC I’m buying though.

Walking Dead #100 – I’m only buying this to see if I want to hop back on to The Walking Dead monthly. I dropped it at #90.

frankenstein
    resurrection man
    dark avengers
    captain america
    maybees
    revival
    enormous
    planetiod

3. Chew Secret Agent Poyo 1
    Peter Panzerfaust 5
    Planetoid 2
    TMNT Color Classics 3
    Walking Dead 100 ( I got like 4 but not the chrome one)
    Takio 2 (I cant believe an all ages book has so much dull pages/art and story..)
    Black Sad Silent Hill HC
    Locke and Key Vol 5 Clockworks GC

Man, for a second there I got excited and thought Black Sad and Silent Hill were doing a crossover. Than I remembered the book is called Silent Hell and I got all depressed again. Sigh…

4. comicbookdude89 says:

Wow… there are some great comics coming out this week, aren’t there?

Batman#11 (this better be the last time I see the Owls in this comic for the next several years…)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9#11 (finished watching all 7 seasons. Loved it. I’ve read most of S8 and what I’ve read of S9 so far I’ve really enjoyed. Gonna start buying S9 monthly now!)

Chew Secret Agent Poyo#1
    Wolverine and the X-Men#13 (one of the funnest mainstream comics I’ve read in ages)

Maybes: (these are maybes because of how much I already plan to buy)

Massive#2 (read #1 yesterday and liked it a lot. Donaldson’s art was a sight to behold).
    Punk Rock Jesus#1

5. Batgirl #11
    Batman and Robin #11
    Demon Knights #11
    Ravagers #3
    Suicide Squad #11
    Superboy #11
    Atomic Robo Presents: Real Science Adventures #4
    Bloodshot #1
    Chew: Secret Agent Poyo #1
    Conan the Barbarian #6
    Enormous #1
    Harbinger #2
    The Massive #2 (Wasn’t that impressed with #1 but Brian Wood still has a lot of good will with me.)
    Pantha #2
    Planetoid #2
    Queen Sonja #30
    Revival #1
    The Walking Dead #100
    Venom #20
    Green Lantern: The Animated Series #4

That’s different. A heavy week but it’s mostly indies.

I have a feeling The Massive will be a slow burn. As long as Donaldson stays on as the artist I’m willing to give it some time.

• tomstewdevine says:

It’s only 3 issues, unless it does good.

I did not know that. Can you tell how much I don’t care about American comics anymore? I really wish that books that are miniseries would state said fact on the fucking cover. That doesn’t diminish the quality of the book though.

• tomstewdevine says:

Well, Wood said that Dark horse will let him continue the book just as long as it sells over a certain margin, this was from an interview with him while the book hadn’t come out yet, He apparently did a short story in Dark Horse Presents about the Massive, and that got him the actual comic. So I know he is hoping for an ongoing, and so am I.

He seems to have put a lot of work and thought into the back story of the book. If it only lasts 3 issues it would be such a waste of an interesting concept and world.

• tomstewdevine says:

Totally, I just scoured the the Previews and they have issue 4 in September, so they must have made enough in sales.

• Locusmortis says:

Punk Rock Jesus was one of my trade-wait picks, let us know how it goes.

6. wwayne says:

I am getting Grifter # 11, and I do suggest you to do the same. Do you remember the action movies in the 90s? There was a Rambo – like leading character (usually played by Stallone himself, or by Schwarzenegger) forced to fight against innumerous enemies: any other man would have been doomed, but our hero, with his guns, muscles, fight techniques and (last but not least) brain, was always able to find a way out. Grifter has the same storyboard, it is the exact translation of those movies in the comic book language: no matter how many enemies he has to face and how complicated their plans are, you can be sure Grifter will find a solution to all his problems. The stories are easy but well written, and the art is simply explosive. Edmonson’s run was amazing, especially from the 4th issue on, and Liefeld’s one got off on the right foot, so I’m very satisfied with this series so far. It is definitely one of the best DC comics right now, so I can’t understand why it doesn’t sell: it should be at the top of the list of every comic book lover.

• tomstewdevine says:

Hey Wayne, I’m Tom one of the many resident Comic Book Lovers of this IMJNation. And I can hear your love for Grifter, I also love that character. But there are many problems with the way the book has been handled.
      Grifter came out in the 90’s and was supposed to be the badass in the W.I.L.D. Cats, Jim Lee did a alright job, but Ed Brubaker really took the character of Cole Cash seriously in the Comic Book Sleeper(a must check out for any Grifter fans). Brubaker’s Grifter was still bad ass but a beaten up, walked on, and more gritty verison. This is the Grifter that is the best, and this is the Grifter I want to see.
      Nathan Edmonson is a good writter, Who is Jake Ellis was pretty good. But his run on Grifter was a complete Bore-fest. Nothing happened, they pitted Grifter up against a Lame-Blue-Super-Natural enemy’s and it was terrible.
      Grifter is a character that should be apart of a gritty crime sector of the DCU. But that isn’t how DC is doing it. They are making Grifter more of a generic superhero, which is a stupid move because since they already have hundreds of generic superhero’s at DC.
      Also Liefeld gave him super-powers, a very terrible call.
      So it does make me very happy anytime someone is passionate towards comics, but I just have to disagree with you in saying this book is a book everyone should read. Thanks for your thought provoking comment though, and check out the A Comic Book Look TV Show some time, I’m the one with the pony tail.

• wwayne says:

Thank you for your reply! I didn’t know Grifter before the reboot, so what you wrote taught me a lot about a character I’m so in love with right now. I don’t doubt that Brubaker did a good job with him: he’s a man I will always look up to because of his amazing stories on Gotham Central. I didn’t like his Daredevil very much (too depressed and depressive), but it’s not enough to me to reconsider what I think about him.
        I can’t tell you the same for Milligan and miss Nocenti. I knew Milligan when he started to work on X – Force (then renamed X – Statix), and I bought almost everything he wrote since then. I picked Stormwatch # 10, and I couldn’t believe it was written by him. I hadn’t read a so boring comic in YEARS. About miss Nocenti, I loved her run on Daredevil and I’m a big fan of Green Arrow, so I was very excited when I heard she was going to write it. I bought the 7th issue, and I think she did an incredibly bad job. The story is (spoiler warning): 3 femmes fatales meet Oliver Queen and invite him at their home. Even the silliest superhero could easily understand it was a trap, but not Green Arrow: he shrugs his shoulders and flies with them. Guess what? Oliver ends up in chains! And the so-called cliffhanger is: will our hero get rid of the 3 femmes fatales? When I finished it, I thought that any high school student could have written a better story. Of course I won’t buy it any more: it’s too painful to see how deep miss Nocenti sank.
        A lot of readers must have thought the same thing, since Green Arrow sales are sinking very deep as well: that’s why I was so surprised, when I read that DC gave miss Nocenti a second series to work on – and it’s also a quite important one, as most of the Batman spin-offs are.

7. tomstewdevine says:

Batgirl #11
    Punk Rock Jesus #1
    Saucer Country #5
    Shade #10
    Swamp Thing #11
    Chew Secret Agent Poyo #1
    Massive #2
    Walking Dead #100
    New Avengers #28
    Space: Punisher #1 – I’m not getting this, but wow, this is really a book.

8. tomstewdevine says:

Batgirl is supposed to be Batman.

9. bello1234 says: