R.I.P. Joe Kubert 1926 – 2012

Joe Kubert
1926 – 2012

I think I have collected and admired every Joe Kubert comic collection and original graphic novel ever published.

I often judge a man by the firmness of his handshake. As Adam Hughes remembered on Twitter, Joe’s handshake could be crushing (in a warm way). I will never forget meeting Joe– or experiencing his firm shake– and will forever marvel I touched the hand of man that produced such authentic and vibrant work… Amazing millions of comic fans and art lovers for decades.

Every member of the IMJ Nation extends their condolences to all the members of the Kubert Family at the passing of this great man– who was a wonderful father, husband, friend and indelible influence on so many.

[Kubert picture via New York Times Slideshow]
This entry was posted in Art, Commentary, In Memoriam, Opinion and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to R.I.P. Joe Kubert 1926 – 2012

This is sad news. Joe was definitely one of the major artists of the silver/bronze age.

sad news he drew really tough guys an excellent artist 85 years old he had a good run my condolences to his family

3. J. says:

The comic industry today desperately needs people like Joe Kubert more than it ever has before. The fact that there is now one less creator of his caliber, quality and creativity does make this a very, very sad day indeed.

I never met Joe Kubert but with artists of his calibre you feel like you know them through their work, there was a grit and a solidity to his characters, a realness and honesty about them. He was one of the last of the “Old Masters” of American comic books, a big loss to the artform.

5. I have not read to much of Joe Kubert but I loved his inking on the new Nite Owl series I have been reading but I also loved some of the war comics he did. My thoughts and condolences go out to Kubert’s family.

I’m not sure if this video has been posted on this site before but even if so its worth another look, Joe Kubert, Neal Adams, Moebius in a room drawing sketches, need I say more?

8. comicbookdude89 says:

Very sad news. Joe Kubert was one of the giants of the comic book industry. Not only did he draw amazing and awe-inspiring art, he also taught others how to create comics as well. His legacy will remain with us forever.

On Sunday my dad placed his Enemy Ace action figure in the middle of the dinner table during dinner in Mr. Kubert’s honor.

Comments are closed.