The IMJ Pic of the Day

Betty Cooper as Drawn by Dan DeCarlo

From my personal collection– art from late Dan DeCarlo… In my opinion, one of the nicest comic book professionals I have ever met… And the greatest Archie artist. Dan knew I had a thing for Betty and was kind enough to give me an exquisite piece.

I also love how the scanner picked up all the original pencil details. As many times as he had already drawn Ms. Cooper, you’d think Dan could have inked a drawing blindfolded… But this exemplifies the professionalism of the man… As he treated every piece of art with an unyielding, passion-filled sense of detail.

(That’s Veronica to the left… But the drawing is far too large to fit in a scanner. Given Dan’s Good Girl Art” past– it’s probably best I couldn’t fit her in anyway. Take my word for it. She’s just as gorgeous as you might imagine.)
[Betty Cooper, Veronica Lodge & Archie © Archie Comic Publications, Inc]
This entry was posted in Art, Awesome, Comic Books, Commentary, Geek Culture, IMJ Nation™, Inveterate Media Junkies™ Exclusive, Opinion, Original Art and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The IMJ Pic of the Day

I love this pic. It also reminds me a lot of one of my friends pieces that he did. Kind of similar but with Mary Jane Watson instead.

I’ll never forget the day I got this in the mail from Dan. To have something in my hands drawn by the greatest Archie artist of all time was overwhelming. His personal inscription (all my art is personally inscribed– take that eBay!) was heartfelt and warm– just like the man himself.

The MJ piece from Dan Sparrow is a knock-out too!

2. Archie is hard to come by where I live(believe it or not)
    When I ask my LCS why they wont sell Archie they make this groaning sound..
    I did however pre-order Archie Best of Dan DeCarlo Treasury Edition(published IDW couple of months ago) And every story had me laughing out loud.,One of the best reads of the year for me…is there a must-have book/trade collection you’d recommend from Archie/Dan DeCarlo, Ian?.

IDW has (so far) published 3 Hardcovers under the title “The Best of Dan DeCarlo”. They feature some of Dan’s best work (hence the title!)– but, most importantly, explore his earlier works as well. The first volume is sold out at Amazon USA but 2 and 3 are available with Vol 4 due to be released October 2012. The good news, apparently IDW is releasing Vol 1 as a TRADE PAPERBACK after the first of the year. (If Amazon’s pre-solicitations are to be believed.)

Hack.Slash, Dan DeCarlo, is THE Archie artist IMO. He drew both the Male & Female characters with equal care… But, of course, it was his Betty & Veronica that made me a die-hard fan at an early age.

Love it Ian, Betty is way sexier than Veronica :)

4. Tiger Topher says:

Nice piece, Ian. While we’re sharing, here’s a little something I got from Dan Parent about a year ago:

Dan’s supposed to be at the Montreal Comiccon (September 14-16), so I’m going to try to get him to draw something else for me when I see him there. I’m thinking Juggernaut done in Archie style might look interesting.

Awesome! Dan DeCarlo is definitely under appreciated by some segments of fandom. But I’ve come to believe he’s one a the greats.