IMJ Weekend Open Thread

This entry was posted in IMJ Open Thread. Bookmark the permalink.

67 Responses to IMJ Weekend Open Thread

1. I’m getting pretty excited for Batman.

But I still doubt it will take the spot of Animal Man as best of the New 52.

2. PhilBetaGAMMA says:

Something my main LCS owners cooked up. Katie n Dan; Owners of GreenBrain comics, decided 2 pay homage 2 pay tribute 2 Stan ‘n Jack by having twenty-six local artists in the “D” each recreate a page in their respective styles, 2 Fantastic Four no.1 Here’a sample of what’s 2 come!

3. I’m happy to see more Marvel movies showing languages native to the countries that they occasionally take place in.

There was a time when American theaters refused to play things that weren’t in English, some morbid fear of subtitles I guess. I never had a fear of it, I considered it more respectful to the culture. But IRONMAN2 showing Russian, and XMEN FIRST CLASS showing German, French, Spanish, etc… IDK, a small thing, but its actually a nice improvement for American films…

4. Heck says:

Hey all, how goes it?

I think everybody is over in the comic review post. It’s bananas in there. Other than that we are all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

• Heck says:

Ha, I see. Lots of new faces!

I’m well, run down with a bit of a cold, but well. By the way, I have a totally new e-mail address if ya want it. My old one got hacked, or something crummy like that.

5. Tiger Topher says:

So I had a busy weekend. I bought a ton of comics, met people like Stan Sakai, Neal Adams, Sergio Aragones and Dan Parent, sat in on a panel featuring Stan Lee and got a couple girls arrested. Good times.

O_o

Can you tell me more about the girls getting arrested?

• Tiger Topher says:

Sure. I got woken up at 6:30 this morning by the sound of loud banging outside, so I went to my window to investigate. When I looked out to the street, I saw two girls beating the hell out of someone’s car using a big metal road sign. Amazingly, they completely trashed the car and walked off like it was nothing. My girlfriend was on the phone with the police during all this, but it was clear that the cops weren’t going to show up in time to stop the girls before they got away. Given that, I went into Batman mode and went after the two young ladies myself. Sure enough, I found them a few blocks away where they were bragging about what they had done to some other people. As soon as I saw that, I sprinted back home, met with the cops (who had arrived on the scene by this time) and told them where they could find the vandals. The girls were then taken into custody and let’s just say that they weren’t too happy about it.

That’s awesome. I wish I had a neighbor like you when someone broke my driver side window twice in two weeks. I would have loved to found out who the fucker was.

I’ve actually been the one to help out my neighbors in the past couple of years. Called the police a few times for domestic violence situations in my apartment complex. The sad thing was that each time I called it was for different neighbors.

• Tiger Topher says:

I’ve got a family living next door to me who have had their car vandalized three times this year alone. Unfortunately, this type of shit is common in my neck of the woods because there are lots of college kids and bars in my area. It makes for a bad mix on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. The little fuckers cause all sorts of trouble, but the cops can only be in so many places at once and it seems as though most people won’t lift a finger to stop a crime if it doesn’t affect them directly. In fact, I’ve gotten word that another neighbor saw the same act of vandalism that I witnessed this morning, but didn’t do anything about it. He didn’t even call the cops. If everyday people would just say “enough with the bullshit” and man up once in a while, it would make a world of difference.

Oops. Almost got started on a rant there.

Tiger, Rant all you want. IMJ Open Threads are here for that reason… At least that’s what Jose and I normally use them for. 😀

Good on you for helping get those idiots arrested.

6. Did you ever play Yakuza 4 Jose?

I totally agree with this commentary.

Adam Scott says, “We’re 90% there. All the guys have to do is WRITE A SCRIPT.”

Are you FUCKING kidding me? http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2011/09/party-down-movie-could-shoot-next-summer.php

8. TheMSpot says:

I’ll be interested to see how this has changed since I stopped playing.

• NicktheStick says:

This might actually make me pick up Green Arrow come issue four. I like Giffen and Jurgens so why not?

• Hasn’t this been happening with a few creators of the New 52? John Rozum walked off of Static Shock. Marco Rudy was originally solicited as the artist for Suicide Squad#1, but wasn’t when SS#1 came out. Now Krul is off Green Arrow?

Not that these are super earth-shattering announcements, but this is kind of making me nervous. It’ll only make me more nervous if MORE creators drop titles (although some I wouldn’t mind seeing them leave. Tony Daniel being one of them 🙂 )

• Skinner Sweet says:

this is great news I really wanted a great green arrow book and could barely get myself to get the first green arrow, and it quickly became the worst of the new 52 I read.

• jocrlujr says:

I wonder if this departure in particular has anything to do with the stricter deadlines DC claims they’ll be enforcing. If, for example, Krul was having trouble cranking out both of his books (plus whatever other project he’s working on) in a timely fashion then a change might have been in order.

• SmokeyClocks says:

YESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey just wondering where some of you guys get your cheap blu-rays? I know you guys were talking about getting cheap blu-rays on a different thread but couldn’t remember if you said where you got them. Anyways I ask as I just bought a blu-ray player a few days ago and now I want to start building my collection.

I’ve bought a lot of my cheap blu rays at Best Buy. They have a whole section for $9.99 USD and under.

Nick, Amazon has got a shitload of cheap blu-rays. Even have sections $15 and Under, $12 & Under, $10 & Under.

That’s where I get 99% of mine. Also, BLACK FRIDAY (the day after Thanksgiving here in the States)– Amazon literally almost gives away a tom of blu rays. Expect some X-Men First Class, Thor, Green Lantern and Captain America Blu Ray specials for sure… They always cater to Geeks on Black Friday.

• NicktheStick says:

Thanks Jose and Ian.

I guess I will have to check out Best Buy (as we just got one in the last year or so but I have not really checked it out) and Future Shop (the Canadian equivalent)..

And for the big sale, I will have to wait for boxing day (day after Christmas for all you non-Canadians out there) sales as that is the big sale event for me up here in Canada.

• Skinner Sweet says:

black friday is always a great time to grab them, I’ve had good luck with ebay, amazon and occasionally best buy.

10. Growing up, John Carpenter was my hero, and if I knew Hollywood was gonna mess with his legacy, then I’d naturally be boycotting it, but you never know…I’ll be VERY focused on the reviews thou, and I’ll wait a good week for ALL types of reviews to tell me what we’re getting into…ALSO, the fact that they need CGI to compete with Bob Bottin’s original badass make up and spec effects? Sad 😛

peter dinklage is a boss!!!!! gratz to him on winning the emmy for portraying tyrion lannister to a key . i read game of throne when it first came out and was just blown away by how cool a character tyrion was, so as a fan its so satisfying to see him come to life portrayed bu an actor i really like. i remember while i was watching the station agent i said this is the guy to play tyrion!!!!! and at the time i never ever thought anyone would ever adapt the books. dinklage just had the charisma , wit and edge for tyrion. and his acceptance speech was cool.

i was also happy with kyle chandlers win friday night lights is a terrific show and he is amazing in it

and win of the night for me was margo martidale who played mags bennet in season 2 of justified
    best tv villian in a long time she was so ruthless pot grower but i liked her so much plus she sang a great version of ” high on the mountain” !!!!!

very good piece on genre television and its current state

13. Heck says:

Any feedback on ‘The Playboy Club’ yet?

I won’t get to see it until NBC puts it up online…if they do. Worth the watch, or just ‘Mad Men-lite’?

• Skinner Sweet says:

I didnt bother watching it but the one thats suppose to be more like mad men is pan am, if thats what you were looking for.

• Skinner Sweet says:

oops my bad apparently this one was trying to steal a lot of the mad men viewers but so far I haven’t heard good things about it, unless your a big fan of amber heard I’d stay away.

14. Allfather76 says:

This is ridiculous. USA today reviewed all the new DC books from the past 2 weeks and gave 21 out of the 28 titles a grade of “B” or higher. They also graded nothing below a “C-“. Really? None of the books were below average? http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/story/2011-09-15/Grading-the-first-half-of-DC-Comics-New-52-relaunch/50415740/1

I want to know who’s blowing who here……

15. Minck Oosterveer the only dutch comic book artist working in the USA died this saturday after a motor accident…he was kinda up and coming in the USA..he did a series with Mark Waid called The Unknown..he also did Ruse and was currently working on Spider-Island: Deadly Foes..

16. Allfather76 says:

Of course. Super hero fetuses. Why can’t I think of something so obviously ingenious like this? http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/09/20/super-hero-fetus-sculptures/