Breaking News: Ben Affleck is the NEW Batman in the Superman/Batman Film

Ben AffleckHe’s Back!

Ben Affleck is slated to take for Christian Slater as the New Batman in the Man of Steel sequel with Henry Cavill, Superman/Batman.

Release Date July 15, 2015

Even though his Daredevil debacle really shouldn’t have anything to do with it, expect Batman Fans to accuse Affleck of Raping Their Childihood in 3…2…1…

Press Release (per Deadline):

BURBANK, CA, August 22, 2013 – Ending weeks of speculation, Ben Affleck has been set to star as Batman, a.k.a. Bruce Wayne. Affleck and filmmaker Zack Snyder will create an entirely new incarnation of the character in Snyder’s as-yet-untitled project—bringing Batman and Superman together for the first time on the big screen and continuing the director’s vision of their universe, which he established in “Man of Steel.” The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.

The studio has slated the film to open worldwide on July 17, 2015.

Last month’s surprise announcement of the new movie featuring both Superman and Batman created a wave of excitement and immediately fueled discussion and debate—among fans as well as in the media—about who would put on the cape and cowl of Bruce Wayne’s alter ego.

Snyder successfully re-imagined the origin of Clark Kent/Superman in the worldwide blockbuster “Man of Steel,” which has earned more than $650 million worldwide to date, and climbing. The director will now create an original vision of Batman and his world for the film that brings the two DC Comics icons together.
Affleck will star opposite Henry Cavill, who will reprise the role of Superman/Clark Kent. The film will also reunite “Man of Steel” stars Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane.

In the announcement, Silverman stated, “We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’ most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some. His outstanding career is a testament to his talent and we know he and Zack will bring new dimension to the duality of this character.”

Snyder also expressed his excitement about the casting of Affleck, noting, “Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I can’t wait to work with him.”

Kroll added, “We are so thrilled that Ben is continuing Warner Bros.’ remarkable legacy with the character of Batman. He is a tremendously gifted actor who will make this role his own in this already much-anticipated pairing of these two beloved heroes.”

Affleck recently starred in the Academy Award®-winning Best Picture “Argo,” which he also directed and produced, earning acclaim and a BAFTA Award nomination for his performance in the film, as well as a number of directing honors. In 2010, he starred in and directed the hit crime thriller “The Town.” His recent acting work also includes “The Company Men,” “State of Play,” and “Hollywoodland,” for which he received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor. Earlier in his career, Affleck starred in and co-wrote (with Matt Damon) “Good Will Hunting,” for which he won an Oscar® for Best Original Screenplay.

The new Super Hero film is being scripted by David S. Goyer from a story he co-created with Zack Snyder. Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing, with Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan and Wesley Coller serving as executive producers.

Production is expected to begin in 2014.

The film is based on Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster, and Batman characters created by Bob Kane, published by DC Entertainment.

[Additional Source Variety]
This entry was posted in BATMAN, BREAKING NEWS, Comic Book Film News, Commentary, DC Comics Films, Film News, Geek Culture, IMJ Nation™, Opinion and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Breaking News: Ben Affleck is the NEW Batman in the Superman/Batman Film

I thought this “news” warranted our first ever Regurgitated Press Release™. 😉

2. venom829bane says:

I’m speechless… I honestly don’t know what to think or say, this could so go either way just…wow…

3. Rob F says:

Why does DC continue to rip off Marvel years after the fact? It could go either way but the only way it works for me is if he is in at least Christian Bale/Batman shape if not closer to Hugh Jackman/Wolverine shape…

Um… Yeah… I saw someone post something on Facebook about Afleck being the new Batman and I thought it was just a stupid rumor.

I honestly don’t know what to think. Afleck can be a decent actor (see The Town and Argo), but i don’t know if I can shake the terribleness of Daredevil. I really didn’t enjoy Man of Steel and right now DC/Warner/Nolan/Snyder – whoever makes the decisions – is not helping matters for me seeing this next movie.

• venom829bane says:

Nick you need to watch the directors cut of daredevil if you haven’t already. That is a superior version of daredevil then the theatrical cut

• NicktheStick says:

I have actually hear that from a few people, but I just haven’t gotten around to doing so. Maybe that will be my project for this weekend.

I’m backing up Venom on this one. I only kinda liked the DD movie after I saw it in the theater but I did really like the Director’s Cut. Take that for what it’s worth. 🙂

• ed2962 says:

I agree with Venom and Jose. It’s not as if there’s just a couple of missing scenes restored…there’s giant chunks of plot that the theatrical version cut out and the narrative is in a slightly different order. It’s almost a new film .Story-wise the director’s cut is much better

• venom829bane says:

Oh and as far as man of steel is concerned, i really liked it a lot. Hopefully Affleck will direct justice league and it will be good

5. …really? This movie just became a parody. Is Kevin Smith the actual director? WTF!?

I don’t like to blab a lot of the stuff I hear… Then I turn around and everyone’s talking about it. 😉

So here we go…

Warners really wants Affleck to direct the JUSTICE LEAGUE film. This casting pretty much ensures that will happen now.

7. Well, he wouldn’t be my first choice to portray Bruce Wayne/Batman. He wouldn’t be my last choice either. I’m going to reserve my judgment for the film, as should everyone else screaming to the heavens that this is a bad casting choice. This could really go either way, so here’s hoping for the best!

I wish I could take credit for this comment, but it is just one of my favourites I have read about the matter. I like the mash-up. Enjoy:

“Yoo’re beginnin’ to get the ideah, Clah’k. We could ha’ changed the world…nah…look at us…I’ve become a fahkin’ political liahbility…and…yoo…yoo’re a wicked joke. I want yoo to remembah, Clahk…in all the yeers to come…in yoor most privahte moments…I want yoo to remembah…my hand…at yoor wicked throat…I wahnt…you to remembah…the one man who beat yoo. How do yoo like them apples?”

9. venom829bane says:

A good discussion on this topic:

10. phil says:

Since l never had major issues w/ DD, l’m willing 2 give Ben a shot. Mind u…l’d have preferred Wentworth Miller 2 play him, or maybe that “Bryce” guy from CHUCK, but that’s me. l’m just glad some of the other names l heard mentioned r playing him. Ryan Gosling, Leo DiCaprio, & EgadZ…, Orlando ‘may l fluff your pillow’ Bloom.

2015 should be interesting.

11. IronMuskrat says:

So people are upset by Ben Affleck as Batman , but not upset by Zack Snyder being brought back to direct another DC superhero movie?

Trust me, upset fans will forget all about Ben being squeezed into the Dark Knight’s armor after they witness Zack Snyder flatten Gotham City, and turn it into a parking lot like he did to Metropolis in the Man of Steel movie.

Personal, Ben Affleck feels like the safe choice to me, not hating it, or loving it. But if it gets him a shot at directing the Justice League movie, I’m cool with that.

12. TheMSpot says:

In all seriousness with cynicism a side (for the moment). It seems bizarre, to me, if the main focus of the movie is still Superman to have him team up with not only a character but a actor who will be taking away the focus from the titular character. I said before Man of Steel was this years Amazing Spider-Man. Man of Steel 2 will be 2015’s Lone Ranger. I rather just see Affleck in his own Batman film that is actually about Batman than Zack Snyder’s self indulgent bullshit. Ugh, from the reading the Dark Knight Returns excerpt to hearing that Snyder met with Frank Miller for a bullshit pow wow wreaks of pandering to the bro friendly base of comic book readers.