Inveterate Media Junkies is morphing… Again.
And as I keep reminding people, change can be good… All you have to do is keep an open mind. Along those lines, we’ve made MASSIVE changes behind the scenes– and all of them are meant to improve your enjoyment of this website and bring something to IMJ it has never had: Consistency.
1.steadfast adherence to the same principles, course, form, etc.: There is consistency in patterns of behavior.
2.agreement, harmony, or compatibility, especially correspondence or uniformity among the parts of a complex thing
Loyal fans of Inveterate Media Junkies know how we started. Girlfriend tells Ian he should start a website. Ian does… Having no idea how friggin’ hard or time-consuming it will be to do it right. Then Ian discovers Jose is looking for a change too… And BAM! Inveterate Media Junkies– and a true friendship– is born.
Still, nowhere in all that was a promise of consistency. We discussed it a lot… But every time we were ready to start anew and be on time, every time– a little thing called LIFE got in the way. People around us unfortunately died, others got seriously ill… And in between all that, we had a string of well-intentioned people who often did not follow through on their commitments and promises. Regardless, we’ll forever be grateful for the short time they spent with us… And to be clear, the delays were often our fault too.
But if you want to run a fun site that people visit regularly, you have to be consistent… No question. That said, IMJ amassed almost FOUR MILLION hits last year. (We were thisclose to the magic “4” number!) So it’s reasonable to believe the amount of visitors will only increase with more consistent activity and content from us.
And we’ve added a real professional to the mix in the newly minted position of IMJ Editor in Chief: Deanna Sjolander. Many readers already know exactly who Deanna is– since she’s one of our most prolific, most consistent contributors. I could wax rhapsodic how helpful Deanna has been to the IMJ Nation’s cause and our new outlook, but I’ll let her short bio do the talking for me:
Beer slinging, craft maven, and all around good-time gal, Deanna Sjolander grew up in a small town in western Wisconsin. There wasn’t much to do there, but she found at an early age she could escape into adventures courtesy of her local library. When she was twelve, she tore into her first Romance novel, laying waste to any that crossed her path for years to come. She later rediscovered Science Fiction and Fantasy literature while working at Barnes and Noble– mostly because they shamed her into NOT reading Romance anymore. These days she doesn’t let anyone tell her what to read.
Small town USA couldn’t contain her for long– and shortly after graduating with a Masters in Writing from Seton Hill University, she moved to Minnesota’s sparkling Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul… Where she promptly settled in the suburbs.
Deanna is currently outlining and researching several more-complicated-than-they-should-be projects– including a Diesel-punk Noir Time Travel Romance and a YA adventure sci-fantasy series. When not working on her own fiction and columns for IMJ, she edits full-time for fun and profit. And sometimes has time to do other things… Like sleep.
But what about Ian & Jose? Well, we’re not going anywhere, silly nervous people. I’ve assumed the title of Executive Editor and Jose is now IMJ’s Associate Editor. In fact, to hear Jose tell it– the addition of the talented Ms. Sjolander will free him to be on the site much more often (especially the weekly IMJ Open Thread)… Causing trouble like he used to. (Remember, The Marvelous Melendez was AWOL for much of 2013!) And me? I’m always here for some reason or another. IMJ is often an addiction worse than crack.
So here’s what you can expect from us in 2014:
– Lots of new columnists. We had a ton of very fine creators to choose from, as more and more professionals understand what a great platform IMJ is for people yearning to be heard/seen by a large audience. As I type, the number is at least SIX new columnists. Some will create monthly columns. Others have signed up to for punishment on a more frequent bi-weekly basis. In any case, IMJ will be back to covering TV, Film, Music, Horror, Books and, as always, lots of comic books… All in our patented straight-forward, snarky, no bullshit style.
– More consistent IMJ Nation™ Podcast deliveries. Yeah, we’re well aware you’ve heard that tune before– but this time, it’s actually going to happen! With Guests! From all over the World!
– Lots of different Geek-Related Podcasts & TV Shows! Yes, you read that right. We’ve actually been searching for months to bring you some of the best, most intelligent, entertaining Geek Commentary the world has to offer. By the time we’re done, we expect to have a minimum of 5 regular shows/casts to share with you… And we’ll continue to add as many as we can find worthy of your time. Look for many to appear over the course of the year.
– Lots of NEW Columns. We’ve come up with some great new column ideas. I’d share them with you now, but then one of the other shoddy geek sites would just steal our ideas… And we’d rather just show them to you first.
– Old fan favorites to return. We know you miss some of our columns, and we’re very, very sorry they haven’t been here on a consistent basis. But many of your favorites will resurface… And soon!
Are we done yet? Not by a long shot! But the above should be enough to whet your appetite and convince you Inveterate Media Junkies is in it for the long haul. Tell your friends, shout it from the roof tops and paint it in the sky… IMJ is Back!