Who’s Getting What This Week?

WHO'S GETTING WHAT THIS WEEK? 2013 LOGO

J Picks #1 2.5.14Lazarus #6, Lobster Johnson – Get The Lobster #1

JOSE MELENDEZ Who's Getting What? BannerWhat more can I possibly say about Greg Rucka and Michael Lark’s Lazarus series that I haven’t already said half a dozen times in these Who’s Getting What posts? In the current comic market, where more and more titles look and feel increasingly stale– Lazarus continues to be a breath of fresh air issue after issue. As long as this trend continues, I will gladly pay the $2.99 for the pleasure/privilege of the reading experience.

I stopped supporting the majority of the Hellboy Universe titles years ago. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing… But I do know the only character I’ve stuck with religiously (out of all Mike Mignola’s creations) has been Lobster Johnson– simply because I’ve enjoyed the hell of out of every Lobster mini-series… Making Lobster Johnson – Get The Lobster #1 an easy buy for me this week. (Psst… Tonci Zonjic’s art alone is worth the cover price.)

J's Pics #2 2.5.14Minimum Wage #2, Superior Foes of Spider-Man #8

The return of Bob Fingerman’s Minimum Wage at Image was a very pleasant surprise. Having read the Trades for the original 90s series a long, long time ago, I was compelled to give the resurrected series’ first issue a shot. Thankfully, it did not suck. In fact, reading it made me quite nostalgic in the best possible way. I’m definitely getting Issue #2!

About a week or two ago a reader asked me on Twitter what I thought of Superior Foes of Spider-ManSince I’d made my feelings about the Superior Spider-Man series extremely clear. Sadly, I didn’t have an answer for the question– since I haven’t read any. There was a time, very long ago, when my not reading a Spider-man comic would have been unthinkable… But now that I see Nick Spencer is the writer of SFoSM, I realize why I’ve probably avoided it: I haven’t enjoyed any of Spencer’s Marvel work that I’ve read. But what the hell, I’ll give this week’s Superior Foes of Spider-Man #8 a chance. Why the fuck not? It certainly can’t be any worse than Superior Spider-Man… Can it?

So… What Are YOU Getting This Week?!

This entry was posted in Best New Comic Books, Comic Book Collecting, Comic Books, Commentary, IMJ Nation™, Inveterate Media Junkies™ Exclusive, New Comic Books, Opinion, Who's Getting What This Week? and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Who’s Getting What This Week?

1. Morlock50 says:

Invincible Universe 10. Is anybody else getting this. I think it’s been a really fun superhero title, with the exeption of issue 9, which was kinda mediocre.

I may try Jose and Ian’s recommendations on comixology. But I’m not getting SfoS until I hear from Ian if it’s good.

I tried Invincible Universe #1 only because my comic shop put it in the clubs of everyone who had Invincible on their list. I liked it and thought it was a good way of expanding on the comic’s universe but…I’ve always enjoyed that I only had to read the Invincible title to get the whole story. I just hope there doesn’t come a day where there is a crossover between the two titles and I would need to buy them both in order to get the ‘whole’ story. That’s kinda why I don’t read much from the Big 2 anymore.

Admittedly, hearing you say that it’s pretty good makes we want to see what I have been missing. I’ll flip through the new issue at the shop and maybe pick it up.

Oh, and I’m the one who will be reading the Spidey book. I’ll let you know how that goes. 🙂

• NicktheStick says:

I have tried Invincible Universe a couple of times. I wasn’t overly fond of the first couple issues, but I came back and reviewed one around issue 6-7 and noted it had gotten a lot better.

The big reason why I haven’t continued with it is because Invincible is so much better – I end up comparing the two and Universe just doesn’t stand up to the quality of the main title. That is my own personal conflict with it and the only reason I didn’t continue with the Universe series.

2. Lazarus #6
    Detective Comics #28
    Punisher #1 (the artist, Mitch Gerads, is a local artist and is doing a signing at my LCS tomorrow, so I figured why not?)

Maybe:

Wolverine #1
    Ms. Marvel #1

3. venom829bane says:

Forever evil #5
    Forever evil: Arkham war #5
    Detective comics #28

Lazarus #6
    Marvel Knights Spider-Man #5
    Drumhellar #4

5. tomstewdevine says:

Punisher #1 – have to support those midwest creators
    Secret
    Lazurus

A nice small week for me