Who’s Getting What This Week? with Jose Melendez

WHO'S GETTING WHAT THIS WEEK? 2013 LOGO

McKayla Maroney Not Impressed

It’s been awhile since we’ve seen McKayla!

Amazing Spider-Man #1

Hrrrm… This 5th Wednesday of the month truly lives up to its predecessors with a really shit shipment. It’s so brutal out there, I have only one comic I’ll be picking up this week– and that’s (reluctantly) for a review… So, in a “really wanta read” sense, it doesn’t even Amazing Spider-Man #1 2014count. I’m sure many of you will find something worth reading, but nothing really shook my tree this week. Oh well.

So, ya… The only comic I’ll be reading this week is Amazing Spider-Man #1. Since Spidey was once my favorite superhero, I’m sure I would’ve checked it out eventually– just to see how much worse Dan Slott could fuck up Peter Parker. Now I get to do it on release day. (Yay?) That said, I’ve heard this first issue of the new ongoing ASM isn’t too terrible. I’ve even heard it’s kinda good.

I’m not one to criticize anyone’s opinion– so I’ll just pick it up and give you my opinion in IMJ’s Comic Book Reviews column in a few days. But here’s what’s haunting me: I don’t think Dan Slott has written a good issue of Amazing Spider-Man since he started on the series– so why should he suddenly decide to now? I would love to be proven wrong but Slott’s reputation of writing absolute shitworthy Spidey stories speaks volumes, so I won’t be holding my breath.

So what comics are you getting this week?

This entry was posted in Comics Commentary, Commentary, Editorial, Geek Culture, Inveterate Media Junkies™ Weekly Feature, Jose Melendez, New Comic Books, Opinion, Who's Getting What This Week? and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Who’s Getting What This Week? with Jose Melendez

1. Hey IMJ Nation! Long time, no see. Can’t promise that will change soon, but I was feeling better than usual and thought I’d chime in.

It’s a slow week here too. I still pick up the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe ongoing as it is still a better DC comic than most of what they put out. I’m also checking out the new Red 5 Comics series Haunted. And being the Star Wars dork I am, I picked up the new series, Rebel Heist.

2. Tiger Topher says:

I looked through Amazing Spider-Man #1 today and I call tell you that it’s a shit sandwich filled with bad writing, unfunny humor, inconsistent art, filler material and character assassination. There’s a stupid retcon within its pages as well. If someone was heard saying ASM #1 was good, they were probably talking about the first issue of volume 1 from the ’60s.

I finished reading it a little while ago and can safely say you are definitely not wrong. So much fodder for my review.

That retcon bugged me more than anything and there was a lot of shit to deal with.

• ComicBookDude says:

Jeez, looks like I have nothing to look forward to when I get around to reading my copy of ASM #1…

I did flip through it and Humberto Ramos’ art looks good. He did have 2 months of not drawing Superior Spider-Man to get a head start, so that’s probably why it looked good at a first glance. I could also tell just by flipping through it that Slott was trying too damn hard to get laughter out of people. When you’re trying too hard to get people to laugh, you’re not going to get people to laugh. Maybe Slott skipped that lesson.

Anyway, here’s what I ended up buying:

Chew #41 (do you not buy this anymore Jose or are you trade-waiting it?)

Flash #30 and Flash Annual #3 (Wally West is back, yay! But it’s the New 52 version, so I’m a little worried. However, I failed to notice until it was too late that Brett Booth did art for both issues…)

Batman Eternal #3 + 4

Dream Police #1
      Southern Bastards #1

Interesting week I have to say. Chew is probably going to be great, everything else is up in the air. Looking forward to seeing what I think of what I bought.

Yup. I switched over to trades on Chew. 🙂

• Morlock50 says:

Brett Booth; a shitty artist and shittier human being. Tell us how southern bastards went CBD.

• Locusmortis says:

Huh, I may need to read Amazing Spider-man just to see how bad it is.

Heh. You should.

• ComicBookDude says:

It’s pretty bad. I finished it a few hours ago… I’ve never read so many forced, unfunny jokes in one comic before. There’s a villain in there who I swear is only there to set up the main “joke”. It was awful. And I was surprised at how little story progression there was for a triple-sized comic. There’s more that I hated about it (i.e. the retcon that was mentioned here), but I’m going to shut up for now. There’s far too much crap to talk about for this comic.

• ComicBookDude says:

Morlock, I will tell you what I think of Southern Bastards on the Open Thread sometime this weekend. I haven’t had a chance to read it yet. I woke up this morning to discover/be reminded that I have a 1200 word paper due tomorrow, and add to that other responsibilities. I’ve been a little busy 🙂

3. Morlock50 says:

Black Widow; the name of the rose trade.

Not to get off topic, but after the bullshit with the last issue, I’m seriously thinking about dropping Invincible, which means I would be off monthlies for good. Add to that the bullshit with comixology recently and I’m becoming a trade waiter, I’m starting to think that the trades are the best and least expensive way to follow this hobby.

That last issue of Invincible was uncomfortable but I am willing to stick with it to see where it goes. It was a tough read but I think the material was handled the best it could have been. Though, that doesn’t mean I was ok with it.

• Morlock50 says:

Well, I may or may not stick with it depending on how I feel when the next issue comes out. I still love the book and the creative team. But y’know Jose, I mentioned on the old CCW blog one time, that I have some personal experience with this stuff, and this hit me like a two-by-four when I read those last couple of pages. I REALLY don’t like this stuff in my superhero comics, and i know you feel the same.
        The best (and worst) thing about independent comics is that creators can do anything to their characters methinks.

I do remember that and totally know where you are coming from. And, yes, I don’t want to see anything like that in my superhero comics as well. It was quite a shock to see it in Invincible. If it was any other comic I buy I would most likely drop it but I need to believe it was in there for a purpose and not just for pure shock value. Invincible has never been about that so I am going to give Kirkman and Ottley the benefit of the doubt. Having said that, if this issue isn’t resolved in a decent manner I may need to rethink my buying it every month.